An Ohio University Police car parked outside of Scott Quadrangle. 

Police in Athens busy with criminal damaging, theft and a quarrel

Two males exited Walmart with $2,300 worth of items without paying

Police officers in Athens had a particularly busy week dealing with reports of criminal damaging, thefts and a quarrel outside a bar.

Two males were arrested Sunday morning after an altercation outside Courtside Pizza, 85 N. Court St. Ohio University football player Quentin Poling, a freshman redshirt linebacker, was charged with underage consumption of alcohol while the second male, Jeffrey Stein, was charged with disorderly conduct by intoxication.

The Athens Police Department additionally handled three cases of theft on Tuesday, one of which was labeled as grand theft.

Police were dispatched to Walmart, 929 E. State St., after receiving a report regarding two males that had left the store with about $2,300 worth of electronics and other merchandise without paying for the items. The items taken by the two males included a Sony PS3, a Microsoft Xbox One and an Apple iPad Mini 3.

Additionally, a $300 gold Michael Kors watch and several other items were stolen from a Palmer Place apartment Tuesday, according to an APD report.

On the same day, the Ohio University Police Department received a criminal damaging report after a woman discovered Monday that the back plastic window of her Jeep had a 12-inch cut through the middle.

The vehicle was parked at Ohio University’s Parking Lot 40. No items inside the vehicle appeared to have been disturbed, according to the report.

Four days later, an OU parking services employee reported that three university vehicles had been damaged. There were no witnesses or leads when the report was generated.

OUPD also received a report Sunday about a broken window and a bulletin board that had been pulled off a wall in Foster House, 125 S. Green Dr. A man was seen leaving the area immediately after the glass had been broken and had blood running down his ankle, according to the report.

The man was charged with criminal mischief after being questioned by an officer.

OUPD is also investigating a report of rape that occurred last week, and was reported on Saturday. The suspect is known by the victim, according to OUPD’s daily log. 

@JoshuaLim93 | jl951613@ohio.edu