The Women's Center is located on the fourth floor of Baker University Center.

'Queer Women in Film Series’ begins again for Spring Semester

The series covers intersectionality between gender, race and sexuality through independent films.

We do not exist within one identity.

That’s at least what the “Queer Women in Film Series” partnership between the LGBT and Women’s centers hopes to tackle.

The series is made up of four independent films to be shown throughout the semester, looking at issues of gender, sexuality and race.

The films include "The Lost Tribe," "Keep Not Silent," "Dreams Deferred: The Sakia Gunn Film Project" and "Off and Running."

Sarah Jenkins, program coordinator of the LGBT and Women’s centers, said a discussion follows the films for those who are interested in reflecting on the screening.  

“No one is one identity at a time,” Jenkins said. “Intersectionality makes up who we are, so I think it’s important to address the complicated narratives that our various identities put forth.”

One film Jenkins said she is looking forward to is "Dreams Deferred: The Sakia Gunn Film Project." The movie focuses on the murder of Sakia Gunn, a homosexual woman of color, who was fatally stabbed in an underreported hate crime.

Delfin Bautista, director of the LGBT Center, said this is an important partnership in programming to make a step forward in making individuals feel safe and welcomed on campus.

“(I’m looking forward to) sending the message out that both the LGBT Center and the Women’s Center are spaces for queer women, however or whatever that means for an individual,” Bautista said.

One film will be shown each month during the semester, all free and all in the Women’s Center.

Susanne Dietzel, director of the Women’s Center, said she is excited to learn more about "The Lost Tribe," which discusses Mormonism and homosexuality, as well as more discussion about lesbian experiences.

“As centers we’ve realized that the issues that each of our centers take on individually are also issues that intersect with others,” Dietzel said.

@reb_barnes

rb605712@ohio.edu