Ohio University sophomore guard Quiera Lampkins passes the ball while guarded by Northern Illinois University freshman guard Kelly Smith. The Bobcats defeated the Huskies 67-40 at the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, on Wednesday, January 21, 2015.

Women’s Basketball: Ohio prepares for long-distance shooting Cardinals

Following a win over Northern Illinois on Wednesday, Ohio will travel to Muncie, Illinois to match up against Ball State.

When Ohio travels to Muncie, Indiana this weekend, its matchup with Ball State could quickly become a 3-point contest.

Statistically, both teams rely heavily on the 3-pointer and going in, the Cardinals and Bobcats could be trading buckets throughout. Both teams rank atop the Mid-American Conference for percentage behind the arc — Ohio is shooting .360, while Ball State is shooting .324 from long-distance.

Coach Bob Boldon’s motion offense may find some traction after Ohio struggled getting its offense going in Wednesday’s win over Northern Illinois. The Bobcats rank fifth in 3-point attempts this season, as the Cardinals surrender 60 points per game this season.

Ohio is 13-2 when scoring 60 or more points this season.

Ohio’s leading scorer, junior guard Kiyanna Black, should have little trouble finding some soft spots in Ball State’s defense. Black averages 15.4 points per game on 40 percent shooting.

“Once I get a steal, I can play in transition whether it’s attacking the basket or creating offense for my teammates,” Black said. 

Ohio is on a trajectory that hasn’t been seen in close to two decades, as the last time Ohio was 5-1 inside the MAC was 1995.

The Bobcats have multiple intangibles heading into their matchup with the Cardinals. Freshman Kelly Karlis, who’s been in a boot, could be healthy for Ohio in the next few weeks.

Junior Mariah Harris and sophomore Jasmine Weatherspoon have found valuable minutes off the bench in the previous three games. Both players have helped Ohio’s lack of length with Weatherspoon averaging 5.6 rebounds per game in 18 minutes.

“I thought having the bench was important tonight,” Boldon said after Ohio’s game against Northern Illinois. “From a defensive standpoint, more than an offensive standpoint.” 

Ball State junior guard Nathalie Fontaine led her team with 25 points in its 77-73 win over Akron on Wednesday.

Ball State’s win over Akron gave Ohio sole possession of the MAC East and Saturday’s matchup will be another test for Boldon and the Bobcats.

After defeating Central Michigan by more than 20 points on Jan. 17, Ohio’s legitimacy has been scoped.

With two more wins against Ball State and Akron next Wednesday, Ohio could solidify a high seed for the MAC tournament later in March.

But for now, Boldon is preparing for a 3-point barrage.

“Like coach tells us all the time: we have to take one game at a time,” redshirt junior guard Kat Yelle said. “That game, at that specific time, is the most important game of the season.”

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu