Ohio redshirt junior Kat Yelle dribbles down the court against Akron at the Convocation Center. 

Bench could play key role in matchup with Kent State

Jasmine Weatherspoon and Mariah Harris, reserves for Ohio, could play a role in the Bobcats’ matchup with the Golden Flashes.

It might not show up on the stat sheets, but Ohio’s depth has been vital for its success this season.

During Tuesday’s practice, sophomore forward, Jasmine Weatherspoon, took first team reps after junior forward, Lexie Baldwin, sat out of scrimmaging because of nagging injuries.

Weatherspoon, the Bobcats’ tallest active player, and Ohio’s bench could be the difference makers in its matchup with Kent State this Saturday in The Convo.

“My (strengths) are rebounding, offensive and defensive wise,” Weatherspoon said. “I always try to get second-chance points for our team and that the other team doesn’t get second chances.”

Weatherspoon has averaged 17 minutes per game off the bench and notched 12 blocks — second-most for the Bobcats.

Earlier in the season, Baldwin and Weatherspoon created a friendly competition for rebounds. The Bobcats (17-3, 8-1 MAC) lack length, in comparison to other Mid-American Conference teams, and the two have been principal in anchoring the defense.

“Rebounding has always been a challenge for us. To have Lexie kind of recommit herself to rebounding ... has been a big help. I think it has also motivated Jasmine to do the same,” coach Bob Boldon said. “There’s kind of a healthy competition on rebounding the ball.”

Another player who isn’t in the starting five, and could be a factor moving forward in Ohio’s march through the MAC is Mariah Harris.

After their win over Central Michigan last weekend, Ohio had extra practice time this week because they did not play a mid-week game.

During those extra practices, Harris helped the Bobcats decipher some full court presses and has added another wrinkle in Boldon’s motion offense.

Boldon said Harris’ length has been dynamic. Although she’s the size of a potential forward, she helps with ball security at the guard position.

Harris, who plays off the wings, has averaged 10 minutes per game and has played in just 13 of Ohio’s 20 games.

“I don’t personally think she is a point guard, but I thought she showed her versatility and did a lot of good things for us tonight,” Boldon said after Ohio’s loss to James Madison on Dec. 15. “I’m excited to add her to the mix and as a staff, now we have to figure out how to use her with what the other players have been doing.”

Against Kent State (3-17, 1-8 MAC), Weatherspoon and Harris may guard Larissa Lurken and CiCi Shannon — the Golden Flashes’ leading scorers.

A battle on the block may happen between Weatherspoon and Shannon, who is the MAC’s leading defensive rebounder in conference play.

Shannon, a redshirt senior, averages 9.5 points and 8.4 rebounds per game.

“We've got to increase our defensive intensity and rebound the basketball. We'd like to be better and we're thankful we have a bye week coming up and we'll try and fix some things,” Boldon said after Ohio’s win over Central Michigan.

@Lukeoroark

lr514812@ohio.edu