Isaac Thomas

Blackburn will not pursue charges against school district employees in sexual relationship case

Concern with "statute of limitations problems" means employees who had heard allegations against the teacher who pled guilty last Friday to having a sexual relationship with a student will not be charged with failing to report, a misdemeanor in Ohio.

Despite his belief that Athens City Schools employees knew about a teacher's sexual relationships with students for years, Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn said Monday his office will not pursue charges against those individuals.

Blackburn cited “statute of limitations problems” and the potential outing of victims who do not want to participate in the justice process as reasons for not charging employees who might have heard allegations against former teacher Isaac Thomas with failing to report, a misdemeanor in Ohio.

Thomas, 35, pled guilty Friday to having a sexual relationship with a student.

Blackburn said he found other females, now adults, who are not willing to pursue criminal charges against Thomas.

"We caught the guy, he's been significantly punished, and I want to now make sure this never happens again," Blackburn said.

Athens County Common Pleas Judge L. Alan Goldsberry sentenced Thomas to five years in prison. His sentence starts March 10.

The prosecutor would not answer many other questions about the details of the case, adding that he was “not going to attack” the school board before its Thursday meeting.

"They are now aware of a situation that's taken place at their school," he said. "They will be the ones who decide where to go next."

Athens City Schools officials could not be reached for comment by press time. Blackburn said he thinks the school district is having a meeting to discuss what has happened on Thursday. 

The case, Blackburn said, marks the first time Athens High School has been criminally connected with such an offense.

In a matter of days, Thomas' record went from that of men's soccer coach and dutiful member of the Athens community to someone who will have to register as a sex offender for 25 years.

Thomas' evaluations, dating back to 2002 when he became a social studies teacher at Athens High School, show a sterling record, stating he was "involved at all levels of the building."

The evaluations were all conducted by the school's principal, and student input was not solicited, Carl Martin, Athens' superintendent, told The Post before last Friday's sentencing. 

Thomas has resigned from his position with the school district, a formality given his sentence. Given his status as a sex offender, he cannot teach again. 

dd195710@ohio.edu

@WillDrabold