Ohio senior guard Mariah Byard drives past a Kent State defender during their MAC Conference game on Saturday at the Convocation Center. 

Bobcats need quick bounce back

Saturday's game in Akron will be the "Battle for the MAC East" when Ohio plays the Zips.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="547c706a-b88d-11e4-97de-1b3eaf8a3e3c"}}

Ohio’s success this season has stemmed from never overlooking opponents and focusing solely on its upcoming game.

Yet in the midst of a 10-game winning streak and a few days away from their last true regular season test, the Bobcats overlooked Eastern Michigan on Wednesday and lost 73-61.

Junior guard Kiyanna Black said it was a wakeup call. Coach Bob Boldon said he has no idea what this means for his team.

“You get a chance to play college basketball,” Boldon said. “If that doesn’t motivate you, I can’t have a conversation with you. Like, ‘Oh, now I’m motivated because I’m playing Akron, or if we lose we only have a one game lead.’

“That’s just a loser’s mentality… it won’t motivate me. I won’t coach any better on Saturday. All it does to me is make me think we have no chance to win on Saturday.”

Now Ohio has to play its most important game of the season on the road, lacking the confidence that’s allowed it to glide through Mid-American Conference play.

The Bobcats (20-4, 11-2 MAC) still have the best record in the conference, but their sizable gap is noticeably withering.

They currently lead the MAC East by two games with five remaining matchups, but that gap may shrink even more Saturday when the Bobcats play the Zips, the No. 2 team in the East.

A win would increase the gap to three — as it was prior to Eastern Michigan. A loss will separate the two heavyweights by a single game.

By no means would a loss destruct Ohio’s best season in 20 years, but it would deflate the momentum that’s pushed this team out of the MAC cellars two years ago.

Bob Boldon said games aren’t played on paper, and that’s what creates the beauty of sports. But if they were, his team would consistently come out as the favorites.

Perhaps the Bobcats are finally playing from behind — momentum-wise.

“(I’m) not worried because I know we’ll turn it around,” Black said. “I believe this was a wakeup call just like Western Michigan was a wakeup call. Sometimes when a team is on a roll, they need that to stay balanced.”

When Ohio tips against Akron (19-5, 9-4 MAC), it’ll need the fast start the team has become stereotyped with all season. The Zips are an offense-oriented squad, while the Bobcats rely on their defense and have their offense as an additional amenity.

Both teams have the same four opponents — Bowling Green, Kent State, Buffalo and Miami — after Saturday’s matchup to close the regular season.

“Hopefully we can use the loss as motivation done the road,” Black said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="dbf98a7a-b7b9-11e4-a1d3-c3a297390e52"}}

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu