Ohio forward Treg Setty and guard Ryan Taylor block a shot attempted by Toledo guard Julius Brown during the first half of Wednesday's game against Toledo. Ohio lost 80-73. 

Bobcats, Zips set to renew rivalry Wednesday in Convo

Bobcats set to begin three-game home stand when Akron comes to The Convo on Wednesday. 

Both of the past two times Akron has taken the floor in The Convo, the game has needed overtime.

The Zips and Bobcats have become one of the hottest rivalries in the Mid-American Conference during the past five seasons and they will renew it Wednesday, despite many new faces for both squads. 

Ohio has its third coach in four seasons with the arrival of Saul Phillips, who admitted some of the air is taken out of a rivalry when one side keeps changing coaches.

Akron will be without star Demetrius Treadwell, who was kicked out of the program earlier this season after being accused of assault.

Redshirt senior guard Javarez “Bean” Willis feels the rivalry will continue where it left off after Akron ousted Ohio from the MAC Tournament last spring. 

“It’s probably gonna be like that every year,” Willis said. “I feel like every team is going to come in and fight.”

The Bobcats (7-12, 2-6 MAC) are coming off a pair of road losses last week in Michigan, where they made just one of 22 three-point attempts during the first half of both games.

Willis, who averages the best three-point percentage on the team, made only three of 13 attempts last week.

“We’ve just got to keep shooting,” Willis said. “One day it’s going to fall, one day it’s not. You’ve just got to live with it.”

Because the Bobcats haven’t been making shots from beyond the arc, senior forward Maurice Ndour hasn’t been receiving as many touches as one of the Bobcats’ only offensive inside weapons. He combined to make four field goals against Eastern and Central Michigan.

Phillips said Ohio’s “priority 1-A” is to get Ndour more touches. He also thinks the Bobcats’ shooting isn’t the only hindrance; it’s also their ball handling.

“Our court vision overall has to improve,” Phillips said. “You get mad because you missed an open cutter and you look at where the ball handler’s eyes are and a lot of times they’re not up.

“I choose not to think that the answer is selfishness, I choose to think we’re just not seeing the court well enough.”

He continued to say the Bobcats’ worst losses of the season have come when the guards are not playing to their potential. That was the case during last week’s mid-week game against Eastern Michigan when Ohio suffered its worst loss of the season.

Wednesday, the MAC East-leading Zips (15-6, 6-2 MAC) hope to extend a three-game winning streak.

Although Phillips is new to the Bobcats’ rivalry, he faced Akron two seasons ago while coaching North Dakota State. The Bison lost that meeting, but Phillips’ “template for success” proved successful; they defeated the Zips this season after his departure.

“I would expect a battle,” Phillips said. “I’ve gone back and watched the games. There’s been some fun ones and I’m looking forward to becoming a part of that rivalry.”

@chadlindskog

cl027410@ohio.edu