Ohio's Kiyanna Black tries to dribble past Eastern Michigan's Sera Ozelci and Janay Morton.

'Common goal' to push Boldon's ballers through season's end

Ohio prepares for tough inside play for its rematch against Buffalo.

The sound of bouncing basketballs and names being wildly shouted fill The Convo arena during a Tuesday shootaround.

“Mariah!” a player yelled.

“Kat!” another called out.

While players continued to pass to one another and reiterate names, Tmisht Stinson and Kiyanna Black cracked jokes aloud.

“LeBron James … LeBron James,” Black said in a whiney tone while hoisting a 3-pointer, replicating the Vine-famous joke seen throughout social media.

It’s subtle, and something that hasn’t always shown during Ohio’s historical season, but camaraderie has been a factor in Ohio’s turnaround.

“We finally have one common goal and that’s to win games,” coach Bob Boldon said. “Anytime you can establish a common goal, it makes it easier to work together.”

Boldon said he didn’t know if the Bobcats shared a “common goal” last season, but this year it has become more evident.

“It’s a long season,” Boldon said. “We are playing teams for the second time and we seem to spend every Tuesday night together and Wednesday on a bus ride back and Friday somewhere, so you gotta enjoy the people you’re around.”

Toward the conclusion of practice, Boldon sometimes jokes with his players — creating a lighter environment for those in attendance.

“Is he new?” junior forward Lexie Baldwin joked, looking at a reporter. “I’m just messing around.”

Humor aside, Ohio (21-4, 12-2 MAC) will not joke around when facing Buffalo on Wednesday night.

The Bobcats defeated the Bulls, 61-50, on Jan. 3, but Boldon said Buffalo (15-10, 8-6 MAC), which has size inside the paint, is a subject of concern.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b616215a-bba7-11e4-8458-abea042bdee2"}}

“We watch a lot of film; we expect a lot of attack, they’re a really aggressive team, so just be ready for that physically and mentally,” redshirt junior Mariah Harris said.

Playing inside the paint has been a weakness for Ohio this season, as players have combined to score just 54 of its 132 points inside the key during the previous two outings — a stat camaraderie may not soothe.

Baldwin, one of Ohio’s strongest rebounders, may not be familiar with every reporter that comes to practice, but she may have to become familiar with Buffalo’s forward Kristen Sharkey.

She leads the Bulls with 14.5 points per game and her average of eight rebounds is ranked seventh-best in the Mid-American Conference. Sharkey recorded a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds in the teams’ first matchup.

“Buffalo is big and strong,” Boldon said. “They really have a strong inside presence, that’s always an area of concern for us and (Wednesday) will be no exception. They rebound the ball well and they do a great job of running plays to get the ball inside”

@Lukeoroark          

lr514812@ohio.edu