Editorial: Off-campus students, please shovel your sidewalks

The poor conditions of sidewalks around town has been a frequent topic of discussion among students during the past few days.

We’re tramping through slush, slipping on ice and jumping puddles on our way to campus.

Although it’s easy to gripe about the conditions, we’d like to remind students living off-campus it’s their responsibility to keep the sidewalks in front of their residences clear. Many landlords provide shovels to their tenants, and inexpensive road salt can be found at several locations on East State Street.

The city issued a reminder earlier this year noting that “it is required by Athens City Code to have sidewalks cleared within the first 4 hours after daylight, following or during a fall of snow.”

Athens City Code states that keeping sidewalks clear is the responsibility of the owner, occupant or “person having the care of” any building or land bordering a sidewalk. Choosing not to shovel your sidewalk or driveway isn’t worth a possible $50 fine.

Even if you don’t agree with the city law — it’s not exactly favorable for student renters — no one wants to fall on the way to class or walk into a lecture with their socks soaked through. If you live off campus, spend a couple minutes shoveling your sidewalk. Your fellow Bobcats will be glad you did.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: editor-in-chief Jim Ryan, managing editor Sara Jerde, opinion editor Xander Zellner and projects editor Allan Smith. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.