Junior Allison Brunenmeister demonstrates how to make a tissue paper flower at the How-To-Series in Baker University Center in Athens, Ohio, on February 10, 2015. Brunenmeister works for the Office of Student Affairs, which has been putting on the How-To-Series with different activities each week. 

How To Series provide break, fun for students

The How To Series hosted by the Campus Involvement Center provides student with different free activities each week.

On any Tuesday, passers-by in Baker Center can see clumps of students gathered on the second floor, doing anything from making dream catchers to rolling sushi.

The How To Series, hosted every Tuesday by the Campus Involvement Center, offers activities for students. The events range from crafts students teach themselves, activities led by a person in the involvement center or an activity led by an instructor, such as Black Sheep Improv teaching students how to improv, said Bridget Gibson, a programmer in the Campus Involvement Center.

“It’s a great break. (If it’s a) Tuesday night and you’re studying but you want to do something inside and relaxing, (you can) come to a how-to event,” said Gibson, a junior studying communication studies.

The Division of Student Affairs, which includes the Campus Involvement Center, is partly funded by General Fee money. The General Fee is a pool of student money that is used for various purposes, such as athletics and Campus Recreation.

The coordinator of the event uses Pinterest for ideas and to check if the idea is doable, Gibson said.

The crowd can be from anywhere from 10 to 50 people depending on the event, Gibson said. A great crowd-pleaser, she added, is anything involving mason jars.

Sierra Sribanditmongkol, a freshman studying French education, attended a how-to event on how to make dream catchers. She said she was drawn to the series because she loves crafts and has been crocheting and knitting for couple of years.

“I’m just naturally prone to wanting to learn new craft stuff so when I see those things, I think it sounds awesome,” she added.

The event ran out of table space to make the craft — and the materials to do so, Sribanditmongkol said.

“The instructions were actually a little hard to follow so people started making up their own designs for the dream catcher,” Sribanditmongkol said. “Everyone started doing their own thing and every one was different.”

The center also hosted an event to teach how to make sushi, which included a demonstration by a member of the involvement center.

Each person received a piece of seaweed and was able to fill it with the different food provided, such as cream cheese, sliced cucumbers, crab and rice, said Jordan Allen, a freshman studying international studies.

“They ran out of rice,” Allen said. “They said they only had the budgeting for what food was there because there was more people than expected.”

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu