Hashim Pashtun, president of the International Student Union.

ISU president loses appeal to keep position

The now-former president of ISU, Phally Chroy, lost his appeal to regain his position with the organization.

The International Student Union formally impeached its president, Phally Chroy, after refusing to accept his second appeal.

Chroy was given 15 minutes to make his case, but a disciplinary committee’s findings, presented at ISU’s Monday night meeting, found that his communication with external organizations was rude and unprofessional.

The committee agreed with African Student Union members, who asked for Chroy’s impeachment, for defaming the organization’s credibility and reputation. Chroy was first requested to be impeached by an ISU member.

ISU is an umbrella organization for 30 international organizations on campus.

“We are part of the international community and we’re a family,” said Ibrahim Alfuraji, a member of the disciplinary committee and Muslim Student Association.

Chroy asked for the ISU executive board, ISU advisor, disciplinary committee and ASU to leave the room while he presented his appeal.

This request was denied.

Dealing with the second impeachment, “isn’t fair” after working with ASU’s budgets, Chroy said.

“The first impeachment was fun, but the second one is annoying,” Chroy said.

After the presentations, some general board members addressed the allegations Chroy made to executive members, and individual organizations.

Omar Kurdi is now serving as both president and vice president until a new president is elected in the next general board meeting.

Next meeting, ISU plans to elect executive board members for the next academic year.

“It makes no logistical sense to elect two different presidents with only six weeks left in the semester,” Kurdi said.

Kurdi said he would oversee and help the next elected president for the remainder of the semester.

Coming up on the ISU docket is continuing to plan the International Street Fair and International Week, which are April events.

@mmfernandez_

Mf736213@ohio.edu