Construction

OU stockpiling five hundred tons of road salt this winter

OU is stockpiling five hundred tons of salt this winter, twice as much as last winter.

Road Salt

Ohio University officials will double their road salt order after last year’s harsh winter.

The university will be stockpiling 500 tons of salt for this winter, which is two times as much as last winter, said Steve Wood, executive director of Facilities Management.

The decision “Was based on our consumption from last winter that we decided to have more salt on hand,” Wood said.

OU continues to order more throughout the winter, but will stop at the end of February or March when the bulk of winter weather has passed, Wood said.

“We don’t know what Mother Nature will give us,” he said. “Last year we had a pretty late and heavy winter, so we want to make sure we’re prepared...”

Construction

The winter weather comes as OU continues to work on construction on Park Place.

This project will be finished at the end of February, said Richard Shultz, interim associate vice president for architecture, design and construction.

Construction workers ran into “utility issues” during construction, but the project will be done by Feb. 28, he said.

Construction, which was recently extended to Court Street, was always a part of the plan, but funding was not secured until the Board of Trustees meeting in October, Schultz said.

GoBus

Construction starting Monday will move the GoBus stop from the bottom of Baker University Center to its old location at The Convo along West Green Drive.

The construction will take place between Oxbow Trail and Porter Hall and is expected to last two weeks, according to a news release from the City of Athens.

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu