2015 Oscar Nominations

Posties make picks for 2015 Academy Awards

Posties make their predictions for the 2015 Oscar nominees.

Our culture staff has spent countless hours watching as many nominated films as we possibly could. Here’s our take on some of the largest categories for this year’s Academy Awards.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="9b46b640-b7b6-11e4-8251-93b1494f3a19"}}

Best Picture Nominees 

1. American Sniper Clint Eastwood, Robert Lorenz, Andrew Lazar, Bradley Cooper and Peter Morgan, Producers
  2. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) Alejandro G. Iñárritu, John Lesher and James W. Skotchdopole, Producers
  3. Boyhood Richard Linklater and Cathleen Sutherland, Producers
  4. The Grand Budapest Hotel Wes Anderson, Scott Rudin, Steven Rales and Jeremy Dawson, Producers
  5. The Imitation Game Nora Grossman, Ido Ostrowsky and Teddy Schwarzman, Producers
  6. Selma Christian Colson, Oprah Winfrey, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, Producers
  7. The Theory of Everything Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Lisa Bruce and Anthony McCarten, Producers
  8. Whiplash Jason Blum, Helen Estabrook and David Lancaster, Producers

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: Whiplash or Birdman, but mostly Whiplash.
  • Meryl: Birdman or The Grand Budapest Hotel. I love Wes Anderson too much; I have to hope he wins.
  • Marisa: If Grand Budapest wins Ima be ecstatic, but probably won’t happen. Fun fact: Monsieur Gustav is actually the name of my Netflix account.
  • Rebekah: Hey, did you guys know that Boyhood was shot over 12 years? But for real, I am torn between Whiplash and Birdman because apparently I heart the drums.
  • Will G.: For now I’m gonna say Boyhood because my teenage years were a coming-of-age movie and so I have a soft spot for them.

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: Birdman...but don’t be shocked if Boyhood stole it.
  • Meryl: I agree. I think Birdman has an excellent chance of winning, and I really hope it does. Just because Boyhood was made over 12 years, doesn’t mean it deserves Best Picture. Take away that 12 years fact and it was a pretty disappointing, typical, bland coming-of-age film.
  • Rebekah: Birdman, and I’m not mad about it.
  • Marisa: I think Selma.
  • Jelli: Meryl, I couldn’t agree more. Also, fun fact, but if Birdman wins, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, who is also the film’s director, will be the first Latin American producer to win an Oscar.
  • Will G.: Probably Birdman because that has the most attention around it so far, but for some reason I’m picturing American Sniper coming in as a dark horse. I don’t know – don’t ask.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4ce26ffa-b7b9-11e4-893a-4f6475233464"}}

Director Nominees 

1. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) Alejandro G. Iñárritu
  2. Boyhood Richard Linklater
  3. Foxcatcher Bennett Miller
  4. The Grand Budapest Hotel Wes Anderson
  5. The Imitation Game Morten Tyldum

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: Birdman
  • Meryl: I want my baby Wes Anderson to win so badly, but Alejandro G. Iñárritu did an amazing job. After seeing Selma though, I’m devastated Ava DuVernay wasn’t nominated. Her film has such a beautiful, seamless style. Iñárritu, as Marisa said, makes his techniques quite obvious. DuVernay works the camera in a quieter way. They’re both remarkable, and she should have been nominated.
  • Jelli: I think Inarritu should get this one.
  • Marisa: Rooting for Alejandro.

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: Birdman. Linklater could very well take it, though. If he did, I take it as a lifetime achievement award for a director who deserved it years ago for a movie that’s not Boyhood.
  • Meryl: Everyone is blowing smoke up Linklater’s ass for filming over a 12-year period, so he’s likely to get it. I pray he doesn’t. I’m really rooting for Birdman.
  • Jelli: Meryl, again, I completely agree. He is innovative, but I mean, Birdman.
  • Marisa: Not rooting for Boyhood. Props for making that film an obsession for 12 years.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="46bf19d6-b7b7-11e4-915a-1754da951d62"}}

Best Actor Nominees

1. Steve Carell in Foxcatcher
  2. Bradley Cooper in American Sniper
  3. Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game
  4. Michael Keaton in Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
  5. Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: Michael Keaton, but not going to lie: I think they all actually did a really good job. Even if American Sniper is average at best, Cooper was great. Steve Carell deserves it in my opinion. If I had to replace one, it would be Cumberbatch and put Jake Gyllenhaal or David Oyelowo in his place.
  • Meryl: I agree I really want Keaton to win. He was EXCELLENT in Birdman. I must say though that Bradley Cooper also did a really good job. I don’t think Carell is worthy of his nomination. David Oyelowo should have received his spot. His performance is the epitome of how you portray an important figure without it being Oscar-bait.
  • Rebekah: Totally mad at the snub for Steve Carrell’s nose. I really want Michael Keaton and am super nervous it’s going to go to Eddie Redmayne.
  • Jelli: Gonna be the odd one out here, but I really do want Eddie to take it home. His performance just blew me away. But I also agree with you guys about Oyelowo’s snub. That was incredibly infuriating.
  • Marisa: Michael Keaton fo sho.
  • Will G.: Based purely off of the fact that I like him the most, I’m going with Bradley Cooper because Michael Keaton scares me.

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: Michael Keaton, since Eddie Redmayne Norbitted his Oscar with Jupiter Ascending it seems and because everyone loves Michael.
  • Meryl: Redmayne has won in literally every other award show, so I’m just going with what the odds have shown. The Theory of Everything is an Oscar-bait film, but Redmayne and Felicity Jones gave spectacular performances. They are the only reason to see this film.
  • Rebekah: I like Michael Keaton.
  • Jelli: Precedence shows that newer actors tend to win over veteran actors, but It’s most definitely going to be a close race between Keaton and Redmayne.
  • Marisa: Where we like it or not, I think the Redmayne is deathly under the radar for that Oscar.
  • Will G.: I think it will go to Redmayne because he had to play a character that must have been so hard to keep a straight face while filming, soz.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8221fcd6-b7b8-11e4-8ec7-7f3a871be05b"}}

Best Actress Nominees 

1. Marion Cotillard in Two Days, One Night
  2. Felicity Jones in The Theory of Everything
  3. Julianne Moore in Still Alice
  4. Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl
  5. Reese Witherspoon in Wild

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: Rosamund Pike, but still need to see Still Alice and Two Days, One Night.
  • Meryl: I’ve only seen two of these movies (Wild and Gone Girl), but Rosamund Pike KILLED it (literally) in that role. She gave so much to this sadistic character. It was a chilling performance.
  • Rebekah: Rosamund Pike gave me life — and disturbing nightmares about wine bottles and Neil Patrick Harris.
  • Marisa: Rosamund Pike: that bitch cray. If I go crazy, I would want to destroy someone’s life just as well as she did Ben Affleck’s. Plus NPH
  • Will G.: Reese Witherspoon because she carried the whole movie as a complex character who was actually real and relatable for once and you didn’t completely hate her.

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: Julianne Moore is a lock.
  • Meryl: I agree Julianne Moore will continue her winning streak for that role.
  • Rebekah: I’m seeing Still Alice this weekend. I love Julianne Moore and I think in the way that Jennifer Lawrence had an impact with mental illness and Silver Linings Playbook, this will have an impact on the understanding of Alzheimer’s disease.
  • Jelli: It doesn’t take many actors five nominations to win their first Oscar, so it would be wonderful for Julianne to finally win. Plus, she’s fabulous.
  • Will G.: Julianne Moore because she’s perfectly ginger and gorg.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="20861980-6f42-11e4-a515-37203584823b"}}

Supporting Actor Nominees 

1. Robert Duvall in The Judge
  2. Ethan Hawke in Boyhood
  3. Edward Norton in Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
  4. Mark Ruffalo in Foxcatcher
  5. J.K. Simmons in Whiplash

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: J.K. Simmons, no question
  • Meryl: Honestly I really want Mark Ruffalo to win. Edward Norton would also be nice. Even Ethan Hawke did an amazing job, and that’s a sentence I never dreamed I would ever say. J.K. Simmons was great in Whiplash, but I felt Ruffalo had a more impactful performance. His role was small but haunting. Simmons didn’t really seem like a supporting role.
  • Rebekah: But guys...Ethan Hawke filmed over 12 years. Come on. But I feared for my life when J.K. Simmons touched anything, because I thought he was going throw it at me through the screen.
  • Jelli: Haha, Rebekah, you’re not wrong. J.K. Simmons was amazing

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: If there’s justice in the world, J.K. Simmons
  • Meryl: Based on all the other award shows, J.K. Simmons will probably take it home.
  • Rebekah: J.K.
  • Marisa: J.K. Hands down.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a49d7884-b7b9-11e4-a86d-33d802f3eb5b"}}

Supporting Actress Nominees 

1. Patricia Arquette in Boyhood
  2. Laura Dern in Wild
  3. Keira Knightley in The Imitation Game
  4. Emma Stone in Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
  5. Meryl Streep in Into the Woods

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: Emma Stone, but I haven’t seen Into the Woods. Arquette is very good, though, so there is no ill-will in this camp if she gets it.
  • Meryl: Meryl Streep was actually the strongest part about Into the Woods. I think she’s deserving, and it’s not just because she’s my namesake. But I’m also very much OK with Patricia Arquette winning because she was actually the best part about Boyhood.
  • Rebekah: I am going Patricia Arquette because she was a strong, independent woman that I think showed the real struggles and emotions of motherhood.
  • Jelli: Gonna go with Patricia for the exact reasons Rebekah described.
  • Marisa: I agree with Meryl… on  Meryl Streep. Spearhead in that movie.
  • Will G.: Meryl should win every award. She’s actually too perfect. It hurts.

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: Patricia Arquette
  • Meryl: Agreed. Arquette is very much likely to win this.
  • Rebekah: Go Patricia, go!
  • Will G.: I’m gonna go with Emma Stone, coming out of the word-work. #gingiesunite

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="81fdd136-b7b7-11e4-bb97-4fa725588d88"}}

Costume Design

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel Milena Canonero
  2. Inherent Vice Mark Bridges
  3. Into the Woods Colleen Atwood
  4. Maleficent Anna B. Sheppard and Jane Clive
  5. Mr. Turner Jacqueline Durran

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: The Grand Budapest Hotel.
  • Meryl: I really dig Zero’s purple lobby boy suit, but I am way more into Meryl Streep’s witch costume in Into the Woods. That transformation was spectacular. Also, I loved Anna Kendrick’s golden Cinderella dress.
  • Marisa: I’m going as Zero for HallOUween next year...
  • Rebekah: Why is Inherent Vice nominated...someone tell me.
  • Will G.: I would have said Into the Woods because they had amazing costumes, but Maleficent was the actual definition of perfection and I don’t even like Angelina Jolie but she killed it and looked #flawless.
  • Jelli: I love the costumes in Wes Anderson films. So much.

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: Into the Woods or The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Will G.: Into the Woods because they had a large cast and Meryl Streep’s name is attached to it so naturally it is already more competitive. The last few years have also gone to period pieces and in 2010 Alice in Wonderland won so maybe they want to go back to a cartoonish movie…
  • Rebekah: Into the Woods because all gorgeous.
  • Marisa: Johnny Depp in a Sondheim musical wearing a Zoot Suit wolf costume??? Perfection.
  • Jelli: I think the designs for Into the Woods are fabulous, and Colleen Atwood is beloved by the Academy.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d0deb224-b7b8-11e4-90f1-1385586c29d7"}}

Makeup and Hairstyling

1. Foxcatcher Bill Corso and Dennis Liddiard
  2. The Grand Budapest Hotel Frances Hannon and Mark Coulier
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy Elizabeth Yianni-Georgiou and David White

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Meryl: Foxcatcher aka “Steve Carell’s nose.” It’s not an original joke, but it needs to be said. I think Guardians actually did a really fantastic job in creating the look of that world. Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Lee Pace and Karen Gillan looked stunning.
  • Marisa: Meryl stole my line –– because it’s true.
  • Rebekah: Agreeing with the ladies on this one. But also Zero the Lobby Boy’s mustache…
  • Jelli: Guardians. Everything was so well done.

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Meryl: I think Guardians could actually win this.
  • Rebekah: Guardians, I’m thinking.
  • Marisa: Guardians

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="72fbcdd8-b7b6-11e4-b848-63b0d8dbcaa1"}}

Original Song

1. “Everything Is Awesome” from The Lego Movie
  2. Music and Lyric by Shawn Patterson
  3. “Glory” from Selma
  4. Music and Lyric by John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn
  5. “Grateful” from Beyond the Lights
  6. Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
  7. “I’m Not Gonna Miss You” from Glen Campbell…I’ll Be Me
  8. Music and Lyric by Glen Campbell and Julian Raymond
  9. “Lost Stars” from Begin Again
  10. Music and Lyric by Gregg Alexander and Danielle Brisebois

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: “Everything Is Awesome”  
  • Meryl: The Lego Movie was terribly snubbed so I actually really want it to win Best Original Song just to rub it in everyone’s faces.
  • Rebekah: I loved “Glory” and actually listen to it ‘on the reg’ as the kids would say. “Everything is Awesome” honestly annoys me so much.
  • Marisa: Freaking “Everything is Awesome” makes my eardrums melt into oblivion… so “Glory.”
  • Jelli: I love “Glory,” but I’m not sure I want it to win. I really love “Grateful” and could listen to that song all day.

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: “Glory”  Almost mixed up my g’s there.
  • Meryl: “Glory” because then the Oscar voters will be like “See we’re not racist…”
  • Rebekah: Yes. Also does anyone else think there’s going to be a protest or something?
  • Marisa: “Glory’s” been played up so much. Plus Common’s gotta make a comeback.
  • Jelli: “Glory” will probably take it home.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a5033948-69c7-11e4-b7e6-87c5719e295a"}}

Visual Effects

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Bryan Grill and Dan Sudick
  2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett and Erik Winquist
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy Stephane Ceretti, Nicolas Aithadi, Jonathan Fawkner and Paul Corbould
  4. Interstellar Paul Franklin, Andrew Lockley, Ian Hunter and Scott Fisher
  5. X-Men: Days of Future Past Richard Stammers, Lou Pecora, Tim Crosbie and Cameron Waldbauer

Who we want to win:

• Will A.: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, but Interstellar would be fine too
  • Meryl: Guardians of the Galaxy, and it’s not just because dancing baby Groot is my favorite GIF of all time.
  • Jelli: Dancing baby Groot is my world. It gives me life.

Who we think will win:

• Will A.: Interstellar
  • Meryl: I haven’t seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or Interstellar but I think Guardians actually has a good chance.
  • Jelli: I think Guardians has a good shot, too. Though it could very easily go to Interstellar.  

Tweet at us your thoughts!

@reb_barnes, @thewillofash, @buzzlightmeryl, @mmfernandez_, @w_gibbs, @thisisjelli