Athens County Courthouse (FILE)

Prosecutor’s office appropriates more than $1,000 to community programs

The prosecutor’s office gives ten percent of their Law Enforcement Trust Fund to community programs each year

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Athens County will receive $1,000 from the county’s Law Enforcement Trust Fund, Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn announced in a news release Thursday.

Blackburn told The Post that money comes out of forfeitures in criminal cases. The prosecutor’s office must give 10 percent of any money received from criminal cases to community building programs.

Last year, the fund brought in $68,000 and Blackburn’s office awarded $20,000.

In addition to the money given to Big Brothers Big Sisters, the office also appropriated $250 to the Trimble Tomcat BridgeBuilders, an organization that sponsors drug-free youth events.

“Hopefully it helps prevent drug use in the community,” Blackburn said.

The money appropriated for Big Brothers Big Sisters will be used to expand the program by including more children in its youth membership program.

The program currently serves more than 350 children “facing adversity” in the community, according to the release.

The program also decreases the likelihood of drug use by 46 percent and the likelihood of skipping school by 52 percent for children involved, according to the release.

“It is apparent that these programs work and I am proud to be able to assist in the efforts of not only the Athens BBBS but each individual that donates their time to work as a Big Brother or Big Sister,” Blackburn said.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu