Swimming & Diving: Addison Ferguson has a phenomenal showing in Day Three of the MAC Championships

Addison Ferguson had a strong day three for herself and Ohio. Even though Ohio remained in sixth, the team did exactly what was asked of them from coach Rachel Komisarz-Baugh: drop times and get more personal bests.

At the conclusion of events Thursday night, coach Rachel Komisarz-Baugh said that she is not worried about being in sixth place, but that she wants the girls to keep improving their times each event.

Addison Ferguson met and exceeded Komisarz-Baugh’s expectations Friday night setting two personal best times and taking the Mid-American Conference title in the 100-yard butterfly event and the 100-yard backstroke.

Komisarz-Baugh said Thursday night was one of her teams poorer nights because she only swam 11 girls, hoping to rest up her talent for the final two days.

And her strategy proved to be effective.

Ferguson not only performed well her individual events, but also with three of her teammates in the 400 medley relay. The Bobcat relay squad – Ferguson, Carrie Dukes, Tori Bagan, and Laura Dawson – placed second in group “A” at 3:39.99.

From the relay team, Dukes and Dawson, added podium spots to Ferguson’s gold medal finish in the 100-yard butterfly, which stalled Ohio at sixth place spot overall.

Other notable finishes come from Stephanie Gyurke in the 400 individual medley placing second in group "B" with a time of 4:24.36. 

Josie Barker also placed fourth in the 200 freestyle event in group "B" as well with a time of 1:50.73.

For Ohio, it needs to continue dropping their times and like Komisarz-Baugh said, her team will continue to move up in the overall standings.

At the conclusion of day three, Ohio still stands at sixth place of eight and Komisarz-Baugh hopes to have the same success she had tonight, tomorrow starting with preliminaries at 11 a.m.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu