Voice

Voice to bring a cappella and range of repertoire

Voice, a British vocal trio, is coming to OU Tuesday

Voice, a British vocal trio, has traveled the world performing a wide repertoire of classic and contemporary choral music. Its next stop: Athens.  

The group, consisting of Emily Burn, Victoria Couper and Clemmie Franks, will perform at Baker Center Theatre on Tuesday during the group’s second North American tour.  The trio is coming as part of the Performing Arts and Concert Series.

As part of the group’s “If Music Be the Food of Love” tour of 2014 and 2015, the group plans on exploring the beauty, heartache and humor of love.

“I think that it’s going to be a nice intimate setting,” said Andrew Holzaepfel, senior associate director of student activities for the Campus Involvement Center. “It’s a very talented trio that’s coming together. They’ve been together … for almost 10 years now performing and touring the states so it will be a wonderful, eclectic program.”

The trio, which formed in 2006, has a set list that contains everything from the medieval music of Hildegard of Bingen, a German writer, composer and philosopher, to Shakespearean music, to a more contemporary style. The trio’s style is showcased in its latest album, Musical Harmony, which was released in 2013.

Voice has performed at festivals throughout Europe and performed in 2013 as part of EUROPAfest.

Bringing the group to campus provides an opportunity for the Performing Arts and Concert Series to exhibit choral music in a smaller venue, Holzaepfel said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="898cd548-acd9-11e4-8032-1f10a8fcaa7a"}}

As part of the group’s latest project, Voice will include five new pieces that include the theme of love, crafted by British composers.

For a November 2012 project dubbed “Megaphones for the Unheard,” Voice collaborated with a poet and created a set of songs focusing on the voice of women through music and poetry.

Despite the recent cold weather and the university approaching spring break, Holzaepfel said he hopes to still see a decent turnout at the show. Shows similar to these usually draw in about 100 to 150 students, he added.

“I think we’ll have everyone from music students to community members and everybody in between,” Holzaepfel said.

Following the group’s 2015 tour, Voice plans to return to the studio to record a second album.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu