Hip-hop artist Waka Flocka Flame greets fans during Sibs Weekend at Templeton Blackburn Auditorium in Athens, Ohio on Saturday, February 7, 2015. 

Waka Flocka Flame energizes Memorial Auditorium audience

The usually peaceful Templeton-Blackburn Memorial Auditorium was transformed into a chaotic mosh pit in Waka Flocka’s high-energy performance.

From the moment he came on stage Saturday night, to spraying champagne into the crowd to "Grove Street Party," it was clear Waka Flocka Flame would not be calming down any time soon.

Performing hits such as “50k Remix,” “Hard In Da Paint” and “Bustin’ At Em,” the Atlanta-based rapper kept the crowd just as excited as he was, focusing on crowd interaction throughout the entire show.

A bra was thrown on to the stage, which Waka tied on his head as a hat.

“I want to turn this place into a mosh-pit, F---k these seats,” Flocka said, refusing to let the design of the auditorium be an obstacle.

He then jumped off the stage and continued rapping while walking through the aisles of the auditorium, a large crowd of people trailing behind.

“It was a hell of a good show,” said Ethan Large, a freshman studying finance pre-law. “Everyone was live as hell and everyone knew the words.”

During “Round of Applause,” Waka brought multiple girls to the stage to dance. They were soon followed by even more people, which became a problem when he was warned the show would be shut down if the stage was not cleared.

“F--k that – let’s do it,” he responded, met by a wave of cheers. The stage was full of fans for the remainder of the show.

Surrounded by fans dancing and snapchatting, Flocka picked up one girl and put her on his shoulders, continuing to rap “Hard in Da Paint” in the process.

“It was great,” said Deonte Holder, who does not attend OU. “I like Waka Flocka, he had everybody real energized.”

Opening for Waka was DJ Bandcamp, who played songs such as Kendrick Lamar’s “M.A.A.D. City” and Rae Sremmurd’s “No Type” to get the crowd excited and ready for the following acts.

“Who pre-gamed before they came here?” he yelled, met by an uproar from the crowd.

Following DJ bandcamp was Charles Yimbo, a senior studying Psychology and the winner of the BSCPB’s Battle of the Emcees, who performed two songs before $hy Glizzy came on stage.

$hy Glizzy, with a setlist including “Celebration,” “Catch a Body” and “Cocky,” kept the crowd’s energy up in the moments before Waka took the stage.

@sean_wolfe23

sw399914@ohio.edu