Waka Flocka Flame

Waka Flocka Flame to perform for BSCPB Sibs Weekend Concert

Waka Flocka Flame, along with opening act $hy Glizzy, will perform at this year’s BSCPB Sibs Weekend Concert.

Waka Flocka Flame, with opening act $hy Glizzy, will headline the Black Student Cultural Programing Board’s Sibs Weekend Concert.

The Atlanta-based rapper, who achieved fame with his single “O Let’s Do It” in 2009, has released 20 mixtapes and two albums, with another studio album titled “Flockaveli 2” expected to be released this year.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="0b525c10-ad9d-11e4-87c5-cf97b40dcc29"}}

BSCPB, which has brought acts including Pusha T, Machine Gun Kelly and Wiz Khalifa to OU in the past, chose to bring Waka Flocka Flame as an act who could be enjoyed by anyone.

“We figured that Waka would be good for anyone,” said Lauren Holland, the vice president of BSCPB. “We don’t target certain groups.”

Waka Flocka is most well known for his highly energetic songs and performances. With his recent single “Slippin” released in 2014, Flocka deviated from his usual in-your-face “yelling” style to an assertive and lyrically-driven approach.

“The biggest thing I like about him is his energy he has on the stage,” Holland said. “He’s not just the same rapper who’s going to bore you.”

In order to get students excited for the show, BSCPB held the #ShakeYaDreadsChallenge in Baker Center, giving students a wig resembling Waka Flocka’s iconic dreadlocks and posting videos of them dancing on the group’s Instagram page.

“It seems like it’s going to be a pretty hype concert,” said Bryan Needham, a freshman studying Industrial and Systems engineering. “Hopefully it gets pretty wild.”

Additionally, BSCPB held The Battle of the Emcees, where students competed in a rap battle in order to be given the honor of opening for Waka Flocka on Saturday.

Charles Yimbo, a senior studying psychology, won the contest.

“I’m really excited,” Yimbo said. “I’m really ready to put on a show and meet him and get a chance to talk to him and see what he’s like.”

Yimbo, who has been making music since he was a junior in high school and cites inspirations such as Kendrick Lamar, Biggie Smalls and Tupac, said this will be the biggest show he will have ever performed at.

“It’s going to be a lot of people, I’ve never done anything like this before,” Yimbo said. “I’m definitely excited to showcase talent to a lot of people and see what the general reaction is.”

Yimbo will perform two songs Saturday, including one new song he is working on for a project expected to be released this spring.

@sean_wolfe23

sw399914@ohio.edu