Songwriter J. D. Hutchison poses for a portrait outside of Casa Nueva in Athens, Ohio, on February 2, 2015. Hutchison goes to Casa "almost every day for breakfast." 

Widely-known songwriter J.D. Hutchison has Athens ties

Hutchison always made a point to return to Athens. 

From strolling down the Hollywood Walk of Fame to walking down Court Street, J.D. Hutchison, singer/songwriter, has made his way across the nation but chose to return and stay in Athens.

Though he came and went through the years, Hutchison continues to be a well-known name in Athens and within the folk and bluegrass music circles, said John Borchard, a bandmate of Hutchison in their band Realbilly Jive.

Hutchison said he wrote the song “Silver Tongue and Gold Plated Lies,” — which may be one of his least favorite numbers of his own — but many artists covered it, including K.T. Oslin, a top-10 country artist in the ’80s and ’90s.

“You can look at it like a business and treat it like a business … but I am not cut that way,” Hutchison said.

Despite having half a dozen people sing “Silver Tongue and Gold Plated Lies” and the bluegrass band Hot Rize play a few of his originals, Hutchison said he never purposely tried to have his music discovered or sold.

Because of his age, Hutchison brought another generation of music to Athens that many were not exposed to while growing up, John said. Hutchison has been a fixture in Athens for many years and has influenced many musicians.

“I don’t look at myself as anything specific — like some people say, ‘That’s the guy that plays guitar and makes songs,’ ” Hutchison said. “Maybe that’s the way it looks to someone … I think everything is just as interesting as anything else.”

Hutchison said he grew up in Barnesville, Ohio as a strongly introverted kid.

“It was a good place to grow up and a wonderful place to leave,” he added.

After hearing about Athens during a bluegrass music festival, Hutchison decided in the late summer of 1965 to make his way from Wheeling, Ohio down to Athens. 

Hutchison is a gifted singer/songwriter and musician capable of picking up any instrument, said Susan Borchard, a friend of Hutchison.

“He knows a lot about a lot of things, which is sort of unusual,” Susan said. “Most people just know a little about a lot of things.”

John said Hutchison interests cover a wide range. Hutchison had a radio show, was offered a role in the Hollywood film Rancho Deluxe, is a phenomenal cartoonist, has spent time acting in Texas and has a love for Shakespeare.

Hutchison said while he waited for the role in the movie, he began thinking of his family back in Appalachia. He decided to jump on a plane to visit but ended up staying five months.

“When you get into the level of the social scale you’re involved with there, it’s a little scary,” Hutchison said. “I was in the middle of stuff that people went out and worked five or ten years to get in that position, and I just walked in right there among all the wigs and it’s just one of those things that happens.”

By the time he returned to Hollywood, the movie was over and Sam Waterston ended up doing the role instead, Hutchison said.

He now spends most of his time alone. But when it comes down to it, the only thing that truly matters to him is the truth in life.

“All you have to do is be honest,” he said. “Be honest with yourself and you don’t have to compete with anyone ... whether you’re (writing) songs, literature or articles.”

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu