Sushi Making

Association for Cultural Exchange hosts sushi making event

Learn how to make sushi and make a few friends with the help of the Association Cultural Exchange.

The Association for Cultural Exchange is calling all sushi lovers, and even those apprehensive of raw fish, to a hands-on sushi-making experience Thursday.

Students no longer have to search for this Japanese art form in uptown restaurants; they can learn to make it themselves.

“It’s like a sushi making 101 class; all the materials are provided and fresh and you can eat all you want,” said Chen Ma, vice president of ACE and a senior studying business. “So it’s definitely worth the price.”

The Japanese Student Association is partnering with ACE and will be at the event to teach those who attend how to properly roll and cut sushi.

“We’ll also have traditional Japanese teas and stuff like that. It’s going to be super awesome because you can basically make whatever you want — vegetarian, crab, shrimp,” said Jessany Middleton, president of ACE and a junior studying political science and global studies. “Everybody likes sushi, and if you don’t, you should try it.”

The art of sushi has been in existence since the eighth century as a means of preserving fish.

Middleton said ACE will do its best to provide an authentic experience and expose international and American students to the Japanese culture.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a4d33032-d33e-11e4-aa6c-2ff99afcf823"}}

“Lots of students from all nationalities show up, and we also have a large domestic student population that comes out,” Middleton said. “It’s been more than five years we’ve been doing this.”

Only 50 tickets are available for the event and will be sold at the bottom of Baker Center from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., as well as at the door.

“You can then make sushi by yourself after this,” Ma said. “And also teach your friends. How cool is that?”

@mmfernandez_

Mf736213@ohio.edu