Kat Yelle and Hannah Boesinger jump into the air while celebrating with their teammates the MAC Championship win over Eastern Michigan. Ohio beat Eastern Michigan 60-44 on March 14, 2015.

Best of luck to women’s basketball team

After winning a combined total of 15 games during its previous two seasons, the Ohio University women’s basketball team has managed to capture a conference tournament title, a spot in the NCAA Tournament and a school record 27 wins — and counting.

The Bobcats’ most recent win was a thrilling one. They topped Eastern Michigan 60-44 on Saturday to earn their first Mid-American Conference championship since the 1985-86 season. We’re proud of the team and hope it has continued success in the NCAA Tournament beginning Friday.

Ohio has not only had its most successful and winningest season in program history, the team has managed to do so at a time when other OU sports have had campaigns ranging from mediocre to disappointing.

We won’t find out which team Ohio will be pitted against in the first round of the NCAA Tournament until Monday night, but based on how the team has fared against its opponents since the season started in November — compiling just four losses along the way — it’s a safe bet that they won’t be intimidated by a bigger-name opponent.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="50748b0c-cb79-11e4-ac1a-d7b2b3299c00"}}

If you haven’t been paying attention to the team’s successes, it’s time to start tuning in. Ohio is going to get its first taste of March Madness since the men’s team reached the Sweet 16 in 2012.

That team made its run, defeating Michigan and South Florida before losing an overtime thriller to North Carolina, when the university was on spring break. This year’s women’s team will compete in the NCAA Tournament while students are in Athens.

We expect the bars to be packed with students clad in green and white — a turnout reminiscent of student support for the Ohio State football team during its National Championship game appearance in January.

From our perspective, Ohio’s women’s team deserves even more support from the campus and city than our younger siblings up U.S. Route 33.

Congratulations to the team on a fantastic season to this point. We wish the Bobcats the best of luck as they attempt to give the program its first-ever NCAA Tournament win.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: editor-in-chief Jim Ryan, managing editor Sara Jerde, opinion editor Xander Zellner and projects editor Allan Smith. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.