Ohio University announced that Bob Boldon will be the new women’s basketball coach. This past year, he led his Youngstown State team to a 23-10 season. (Chad Lindskog | For The Post)

Bob Boldon signs five-year extension

Ohio coach Bob Boldon has signed a five-year contract extension until 2020, Ohio Athletics announced Wednesday morning. 

The extension comes one day after Boldon was named the Mid-American Conference coach of the year, after leading the Bobcats to their first regular season conference championship since 1994-95. 

The second-year coach transformed the women's basketball program from its worst season in history in 2012-13 to the MAC' No. 1 seed in 2014-15.

"I am elated to announce a contract extension for Bob Boldon," Ohio Athletic Director Jim Schaus said in a press release. " It is well deserved. Bob has lead one of the most pronounced turnarounds in college basketball this year. He has a remarkable job in all facets of his job.

The school hasn't announced whether or not Boldon has received a salary increase. Heading into the season, he annually made $175,134. 

"He is building something special," Schaus said. "The future of our women's basketball program is very bright under Bob's leadership."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="3b2c07ca-c796-11e4-b43a-6f16f6feb344"}}

His original contract expired in 2018. Jason Arkley of The Athens Messenger has reported that Boldon has already received $8,000 in bonuses for this season.

The Post is in the process of obtaining the new contract.