Bobcats finish high, not strong

The Bobcats finished as high as they have in the Rio Verde invitational under Ovington, but it could have been even better.

Ohio tied for seventh place at the Rio Verde Collegiate Invitational this weekend in Arizona, which is its best finish in the tournament since coach Kelly Ovington has been with the program.

The Bobcats, however, were on track to finish even better.

They finished day one, Friday, in second place, 13 strokes behind the lead. It was Ohio’s best team round of the season at 299 for 11 over par. The round was tied for eighth-best in program history. 

After the second day, the Bobcats were still in contention and shot 303 as a team, for 15 strokes over par. The Bobcats ended the day tied for third.

Sunday, Ohio dropped four spots to seventh place after a round of 310, for 22 over par.

Individually, junior Angela Codian finished tied for tenth place with a score of 224, a total of eight over par — one stroke shy of tying her career best as a Bobcat.

Junior Lauren McKinzie posted the best 54-hole score of her career with a 229 for 13 over par, and finished tied for 29th. 

Sophomore Haley Hyrnewich (228, tied for 12th) also represented the Bobcats strongly on the leaderboard.

Overall, the Bobcats continued to look strong on the golf course and secured a better placing than last year when they finished 11th.

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu