Number four of Akron, wide receiver Fransohn Bickley, is tackled by three of Ohio University’s players including Casey Sayles last season.

Bobcats’ making defensive adjustments

Ohio’s defensive front is getting revamped with Antwan Crutcher and Cameron McLeod graduating.

Cameron McLeod and Antwan Crutcher took the field as Bobcats for the final time last week when they participated in Ohio’s pro day.

During the past two seasons, Crutcher and McLeod have been mainstays in the center of the defensive front. Crutcher started the final 25 games of his career and McLeod started 15 games during his two seasons with Ohio.

With the two paired up next to each other for all of the 2014 campaign, opponents’ rushing yards decreased by an average of 55 yards per game.

“Those were two really good players,” redshirt junior defensive end Kurt Laseak said. “Cam was really physical and Crutch had a nice combination of being physical and agile.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4625f74a-d271-11e4-87ac-4f1b78fbf111"}}

Now the coaching staff has the task of trying to replace that production on the field. One guy they hope will fill the void is junior defensive end Casey Sayles, who is making the transition to play defensive tackle.

During spring practices, Sayles has been lining up at defensive end for first- and second-down snaps, but when it comes to third down passing situations, he has been moving inside. The plan though is that Sayles will permanently become a defensive tackle by the beginning of the season.

“With the numbers we have I’m doing both end and tackle, so with me playing four different positions along the defensive line, I just have to learn as much as I can,” said Sayles, who was recently named one of the team’s captains for next season. “I just need to be smart and more of a leader — the communication along the defensive line.”

Sayles was no stranger to the field as he rotated in at defensive end with Laseak and Kendric Smith, who graduated after last season. His role will increase with the Bobcats becoming thin at defensive tackle.

“I’ve gained a few pounds over the winter lifting session,” Sayles said. “I just have to get used to it conditioning wise, but it’s getting better.”

Laseak will also see more time on the field next season with Sayles moving to tackle. He was second on the team in sacks last year with 3.5 sacks and will look to provide a consistent pass rush on the opposite side of junior Tarell Basham.

Throughout last season, Basham was the focal point of most opponent’s offensive game plans. During his freshman year, Basham recorded 9.5 sacks and was named to the Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-American team. His sack numbers fell last season to five as teams focused on him.

Basham has been limited in the past few weeks of spring practice with an injury.

“We both know that we need to work together this next season and he needs to get back healthy,” Sayles said. “Fall camp will be big for us just getting him back in and getting back together.”

@Kovarandrew

ak840511@ohio.edu