Ohio head coach Bob Boldon reacts to a play during a game against Toledo at The Convo. The Bobcats lost to the Rockets 64-62 on Jan. 26. (Calvin Mattheis | File Photo)

Boldon wins MAC Coach of the Year following 'Cats drastic turnaround

Coach Bob Boldon’s quiet, but stern, demeanor has helped lead Ohio to best season in twenty years. 

In the span of 24 months Ohio has transgressed from the Mid-American Conference cellar to the top of the conference.

The catalyst of this dramatic change: graying, yet soft-spoken, 40-year old coach Bob Boldon.

Boldon was named MAC Coach of the Year on Tuesday after leading the Bobcats to their first MAC regular season title since 1995 and turning the program around in just his second year at the helm.

“To me, it's as much a team award as winning the conference because it's not like they put all the head coaches in a room and play chess and whoever wins is coach of the year,” Boldon said.

When Boldon began his tenure, the Bobcats were coming off their worst season in program history at 6-23. During his first season, the Bobcats finished three games better (9-20) and showed glimpses of success at times.

But almost no one — except maybe Boldon — expected to see Ohio garner its second best season of all time.

“Coming from last year, being 9-23, it's a big deal (winning the MAC championship) but not a huge deal,” sophomore guard Quiera Lampkins said. “I think if we win the MAC Tournament, that would be when everyone would be excited and everyone's pumped up and ready to go."

Yet Boldon’s reserved demeanor has apparently rubbed off on his players.

After every win throughout this season, Boldon and his team would be asked, “How much does this win mean to you guys?

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7a362c3c-c7f2-11e4-90c1-d71d10f1ca95"}}

We’re thinking about (insert next opponent) now,” Boldon and the players would say, never thinking of the history they were chasing.

Truthfully, Boldon has changed Ohio and it showed when Ohio defeated Bowling Green to earn its first MAC East Title in program history. The last time Ohio won a MAC Title, the conference was not split into two regions.

“(Boldon) doesn't let us get pretty excited for stuff,” Lampkins said after Ohio’s 20-point win two weeks ago. “Like, today he told us in the locker room that we were MAC champs and there's no tie, but nobody was really like, `Woo, let's go!' Everybody was just like, `Okay, on to the next.' ”

Part of Ohio’s success this year came from Boldon, who was a guard at Walsh in the late 1990s, wanting his team to share the basketball more.

During the regular season, the Bobcats outscored their opponents 2,055-1,635 with Lampkins and junior guard Kiyanna Black earning All-MAC Team placements.

“You can never get comfortable no matter where you're at,” Black said. “There is always room for improvement and I feel like Bob does a good job of reminding us that he's never satisfied and that means we always have things to work on.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="fcb2385c-c68c-11e4-843f-4b545f21f7ba"}}

Boldon’s track record shows that he could be on his way out of Athens soon, with bigger basketball programs eyeing his coaching potential, but it has to be stated: Boldon’s quiet, but stern, demeanor has made its mark on Ohio.

“I've got some very bright, young people on my staff,” Boldon said. “I don't know how much longer I'll have them, but I have them this year and I'm very happy about that.”

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu