Jeffrey Shira, 60, was arrested on allegations for possession of child pornography.

Child porn case proceeds to next level court

Ohio University employee Jeffrey Shira faces multiple second-degree felony charges related to child pornography at the Athens Court of Common Pleas. 

Jeffrey Shira, an Ohio University employee who faces 10 second-degree felony charges related to child pornography, will be tried at the Athens County Common Pleas Court.

A trial date had not been set as of press time.

Shira was charged last month with multiple counts of pandering obscenity. At his first hearing, bond was set at $100,000 with a $250,000 bond schedule. Shira had to surrender his passport and is not allowed to leave the state of Ohio without a court order, according to court documents.

Shira waived a preliminary hearing for his case, moving his case onward to the Athens Court of Common Pleas, according to the documents.

An investigation between Athens Police Department and the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was launched after Shira accidentally donated two USB drives allegedly containing child pornography to a local church.

Shira, 60, is an application support representative in the OU Office of Information Technology and has been on paid administrative leave since his arrest Feb. 18, OU spokeswoman Stephanie Filson said.

He was originally hired in August 1997 and currently earns $53,529 per year.

Filson said his leave will last until the investigation is complete.

@Fair3Julia

jf311013@ohio.edu