Luke Furman - From The Local Desk

From The Local Desk: Palmer Fest was still pretty wild despite cold weather

Police made 57 arrests at Palmer Fest on Saturday and shut down 11 nuisance parties by 3:30 p.m.

Every street fest in Athens attempts to outdo the previous year’s craziness and fun ratio, but this year, one fest outdid itself in a different areas: clothing layers and arrests.

Despite the near-freezing temperatures at Palmer Fest, more fest-goers attended this alcohol-laden ordeal than last year’s rainier edition. And following suit in a positive trend, more attendees were arrested.

The Ohio University Police Department, the Athens Police Department and Ohio Investigative Unit arrested 57 people during Saturday’s festivities, in what Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl hoped would be “quiet and a nice party.”

That’s a huge 42 percent leap from last year’s 33 arrests.

Even though five parties were shut down by 1:30 p.m., fest-goers still embodied the fest spirit and braved the low temperatures in favor of tradition and a good time.

Most students dressed in layers for the chilly weather until they could turn on some internal alcoholic heating. Students traded snapbacks for beanies and brightly colored shorts for unique leggings. One fester even wore a kilt.

“I’ve got extra pants on and some Under Armour,” said Sean Plagens, a fifth-year OU student studying accounting. “Once you get some beer in you, you get warm.”

Some students likened the fest to a tailgate, not caring about the weather.

“If the weather stops somebody (from attending the fest), they should just transfer,” said Anthony Burke, a sophomore at OU studying business.

Some students handed out scrambled eggs while others offered their Mill street houses to festers whose houses had been shut down by police.

But fest-goers didn't let police presence ruin their good time — though sometimes they weren't cautious enough.

One student in a large group threw a frisbee at an unsuspecting group of cops. The police officers subsequently turned to the house where the frisbee originated and immediately shut it down.

A nearby house had six kegs at its disposal and some sort of slap-the-bag contraption hanging from the roof.

The fest began to decline at about 3 p.m., after police had shut down seven or eight houses. Three more house parties would be shut down by 3:30 p.m. bringing the total to 11. That didn’t stop many fest-goers from retreating to Mill Street, where a few small parties remained till about 5 p.m.

Since the party didn’t progress into the night, unlike some years, many of the partiers blamed the stricter police presence for preventing the fest from reaching its full potential.

“It’s been the rowdiest fest in the past, but (the police) are kind of killing the vibe,” said Michael Conti, a freshman at OU studying sports management.

The APD news release states that most of the parties on Palmer Street were over by 4:30 p.m.

Despite the early shutdown, Shelby Scott, a 2014 OU alumna and veteran fester, said Palmer was “still epic.”

“It’s crazy that fests are being shut down by 1 p.m.,” Scott said, adding that she disapproves of the fest becoming tamer over the years.

Regardless of the fest’s early demise, students had their share of drinking, jerseys, keg-stands and USA chants.

Luke Furman is a stringer for Local Staff and a columnist at The Post. What was the craziest thing you saw at Palmer Fest? Email him at lf491413@ohio.edu or find him on Twitter at @LukeFurmanOU.