Cassie Fait

Hallelujah, Girl Scout cookie season has arrived

There’s now an app to locate the nearest Girl Scouts selling cookies

Although Girl Scout cookies can be bought online now, there’s still an excitement in the air during Girl Scout cookie season. For a few weeks a year, Girl Scouts can be found on Court Street jumping around with exuberance as they showcase their famous delightful cookies.

For an easier way to find those cookies, the Girl Scouts of the USA organization maintains a smartphone app, Cookie Finder. The free app uses GPS location services to pinpoint locations for Girl Scout Cookie sellers.

That ingenious app makes life so much easier when a Girl Scout Cookie craving occurs during the selling season. As door-to-door sales are becoming a thing of the past, the tradition of selling those cookies to homeowners still withstands time.

Although there is a convenience by bypassing the “middleman” of Girl Scouts, the online ordering option also sidesteps the traditional ordering process.

In my days as a Brownie, I remember the giddy eagerness as I ran to my neighbors’ houses with my parents in tow. While prizes were definitely on my mind, I recall loving to interact with my neighbors. There is such a community element involved in the process.

The tradition of selling Girl Scout Cookies began in 1917 to fund activities for the troops. However, that personal interaction now goes beyond the Girl Scouts and buyers. Social media explode with odes to cookies. The Huffington Post concocted a Samoa-inspired doughnut recipe with the headline, “Samoa donuts are like Girl Scout Cookies on steroids.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="bda99792-c761-11e4-8fbd-f79bfed15ba7"}}

Girl Scout Cookies have surpassed conventional standards and have become iconic. Eaters and chefs alike prepare cookies into a variety of tasty delights. Here are a few examples:

Transforming cookies into treats

• Freeze cookies for a frozen treat with your pals.
  • Construct an ice cream sandwich by placing ice cream between two cookies. If you’re lactose intolerant or vegan, use coconut milk or almond ice cream for a twist.
  • Make a Girl Scout Cookie milkshake by blending a handful of cookies, a few scoops of ice cream and a splash of milk. The milkshake consistency depends on personal preferences.

This year, Taste of Home sponsored a contest for recipes using Girl Scout Cookies. The contest winner will be featured in the print and digital edition of the magazine.

As one of the largest female-run businesses in the world, Girl Scouts fund their activities and also donate the sales of Girl Scout Cookies to charities. Hopefully, Girl Scouts will continue selling their cookies for years to come.

Cassie Fait is a senior studying journalism and women’s, gender and sexuality studies. Email her at cf301411@ohio.edu.