The Bobcats finished in second-place at the Lady Colonel Classic.

Lady Bobcats Golf team keep optimism for tournament this weekend

The Bobcats are as good as they have been since Ovington was hired, and hope to place this weekend’s tournament. 

The Bobcats will be in Arizona this weekend to compete in the Rio Verde Collegiate Invitational.  The tournament will last three days and include 54 holes with 17 teams competing. The field also includes Mid-American Conference foes Toledo, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Ball State and Eastern Michigan.

Ohio Athletics did not make coach Kelly Ovington or the golfers available to The Post for comment.

The tournament has not been kind to Ohio in the past; it has finished no better than 10th in the past decade. The Bobcats finished 11th last year.

This year’s team, however, has already proven itself as capable of outperforming past teams.

Through seven tournaments in the fall and spring, Ohio has placed in the top 10 in five of those tournaments. In four of those tournaments the Bobcats finished in the top five.  With this they tied within the top five finishes in a season since Ovington was hired in 2008.

The Bobcats have been improving individually as well. Last month at the Eagle Invitational, freshman Lily Pendy posted both the team’s best-combined score and the best round of her career. In addition, Pendy scored plus-15 overall and one-over-par in the final round.

The focus for the team all year has been patience and avoiding long putts that can frustrate the Bobcats.

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu