Grow operation

Marijuana growing operation shut down in Amesville

Law enforcement officers recovered 47 marijuana plants from a home near Amesville Wednesday. Officers also found equipment for growing and selling marijuana, $751 in cash, suspected prescription pills and 12 firearms. 

The Athens Major Crimes Unit discovered and dismantled an indoor marijuana growing operation near Amesville on Wednesday.

Law enforcement officers recovered 47 marijuana plants, equipment for growing and selling marijuana, $751 in cash, suspected prescription pills and 12 firearms — two of which were listed as stolen. Officers ultimately jailed one man on suspicion of illegal drug activity. 

Wednesday, the Ohio Adult Parole Authority was conducting an interview with the man, Ernest S. Burchfield, prior to his arrest. Burchfield was already on parole for a felony possession of marijuana. During the interview, agents saw what they believed to be evidence of illegal drug activity, according to a news release from the Athens County Sheriff’s Office, and notified sheriff’s deputies.

The Athens Major Crimes Unit then obtained a search warrant, and the illegal materials were confiscated.

The pills were sent to a lab to be analyzed, and the 12 firearms were entered in to a statewide database for stolen property. 

A woman was also at the house during the arrest. She was interviewed but not arrested. 

Burchfield was taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail for violations of his parole agreement related to marijuana and firearms. The case will be given to the Athens County Prosecutor’s Office, according to the news release, for possible indictment of both residents relating to felony charges related to illegal drugs, firearms and possession of stolen property.

@Fair3Julia

Jf311013@ohio.edu