Gamer Girl

Meerkat, Periscope apps are changing how journalists cover news

Live feed apps can prove useful to journalists, and possibly change the way we get information

As a journalism student who’s obsessed with tech, I’m always interested in seeing what kind of things are changing the world of reporting for the better. If you aren’t a journo nerd, then trust me, these are awesome for everyone.

Lately, I’ve loved seeing journalists use a multitude of platforms to showcase and enhance their reporting. I follow a few reporters and publications on Snapchat. There are constantly new Snapchat stories with up-to-date headlines or clips from where they’re working. It allows for a more inside look at the coverage and it’s yet another way to get your news.

There are two new live streaming apps that have been unveiled recently — Meerkat and Twitter-owned Periscope. Both apps, which are currently only available on iPhones, allow the user to livestream directly from their phone. For example, an OU student could live stream a fest, and users from all over the world (or just your friends on the app) could tune in and check it out.

While this app style seems a little limiting (who really needs to be live streaming their life?), I think this has the possibility to completely change the game of reporting. Look at the fire that happened in NYC this past week — citizens and journalists alike took to Periscope to stream. If you were on the go, at home without a news channel, or even just prefer to get your news from your phone, the app allowed users to watch a live broadcast without needing to tune into a TV station or check out a different website.

Besides just journalists, this app has a unique angle. Some celebrities have taken to them to do live streams of what’s going on in their lives or doing Q&As. It allows for more personal interaction with these people and allow for more of a look into their lives, away from scripts and editing.

Periscope has a few more features than Meerkat, which many think will put them ahead in the long run. The app has a long feed that any user can check out, which is super neat because users are from all over the globe. While some of the posts might be something you could see in your own country, there’s a large opportunity to check out unique festivals and events. Periscope also allows streams to be visible for up to 10 hours after it ended — something really neat if you wanted to watch a specific broadcast but missed it.

In the end, I don’t think either of these apps will replace any kind of news or reporting we have now, but will only add to the ever-growing stream of information out there.

Sophie Kruse is a junior studying journalism. Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu or find her on Twitter at @kruseco.