Green Beer Day celebrants pose for a selfie on the balcony of the apartments overlooking the crowd in the courtyard of Courtside Pizza. 

Miami students criticize Green Beer Day festivities in Athens; OU students respond

Miami University students jabbed Ohio University students for celebrating Green Beer Day. OU students didn't take the criticism lightly. 

Tack on yet another point of dispute in the rivalry between Ohio University and Miami University: Green Beer Day. 

In an open letter to OU students, a post was created on Monday on thedrunkenundergrad criticizing Bobcats for an "act of unoriginality" in celebrating Green Beer Day last week.

OU students took to the bars last Wednesday to drink colored beer in a preliminary St. Patrick's Day celebration. OU began celebrating Green Beer Day when the university was still on the quarter system, causing Spring Break to fall on St. Patrick's Day. 

The post, from "the concerned students in Oxford," jabbed OU as a "University in decline" and said "last Wednesday meant nothing; it was a small blip on the radar in St. Paddy's Day related festivities." 

"Maybe next time you guys can hold a brainstorming session and come up with something that suits your style better, maybe something a little more trashy (Mill Fest, maybe?" the post stated.

St. Patrick's Day is Tuesday, March 17. 

In response, multiple OU students wrote blog posts defending Athens' festivities last week. 

Amanda Hagley, a senior at OU, said whoever wrote the post from Miami should "step off of your high horse and make some effort to stop perpetuating the stereotypes that have become known as the personality of Miami students." She also called Green Beer Day the "most insignificant of any of Ohio University’s spectacular social events."

In another post, Briagenn, another OU senior, called the Miami blog post "substandard, but cute." She said OU students were able to recognize a good thing in Green Beer Day and used the event to create a day where "Memories were made, friendships were created, couples were born. In true Bobcat fashion, we fested with the best."

The rivalry continues. 

dd195710@ohio.edu

@WillDrabold