Ohio guard Kiyanna Black shoots the ball over Arizona guard Peace Amukamara and Arizona guard Elisha Davis during the Ohio vs Arizona NCAA game. Ohio lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament 74-55 to ASU on March 21, 2015. 

Ohio loses to Arizona State in First Round of NCAA Tournament, signals the end of Byard's career

TEMPE, Arizona — Senior guard Mariah Byard walked into Ohio’s postgame news conference with puffy eyes.

The tears she was fighting back were only fitting.

She scored five points during her final game as a Bobcat, a 74-55 loss to No. 3 Arizona State Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

“I wasn’t happy with the way the game went and the way we finished off, but ... we had a great season and I think this gives the rest of the guys something to work for,” she said.

It was one of the first somber postgame interviews all year for Byard and Ohio coach Bob Boldon.

The usually-quiet and reserved player and coach, who led Ohio to its first Mid-American Conference championship since 1986 and first NCAA Tournament berth in two decades, were less jovial than usual but plenty willing to speak candidly about the success Ohio has had this season.

“(Mariah) has a tremendous understanding of the game,” Boldon said. “She understands things as good as anybody as we have. She’s a 3.89 student in nursing. She’s a kid that gets it’s done. She’s a tremendous role model for our kids and how to conduct yourself herself as a student and athlete.”

Byard has been a special player for Ohio.

Her 3-point shooting and movement away from the ball were assets that allowed players like junior Kiyanna Black and sophomore Quiera Lampkins to attack defenders in isolation situations. She leaves the program with the second-most career 3-pointers made, 214 overall.

Such a feat is a testament to her trademark dedication and patience.

After every practice, Byard worked tirelessly on her jump shot well after many teammates went to the locker room. After winning just 29 games during Byard’s first three years with the team, Ohio exploded for a 27-win season during her fourth.

She and redshirt junior Kat Yelle are the only players to be with the team for each of those four seasons, the other members of their recruiting class having left the team in years past.

“To have gone through the past four years with her, you know, we have a bond on the team that no one else really may have because we came in together, so we’ve literally been through everything together,” Yelle said last week. “It’s just amazing that we finally got an opportunity (to win) and that she got to experience it before she graduates.”

That experience came to a crescendo Saturday in Tempe.

The Sun Devils took the No. 14 Bobcats out of their element by attacking the paint and applying full-court ball pressure.

The Bobcats were held to 37 percent shooting from the field and allowed 41 points in the first half alone.

Junior guard Katie Hempen led Arizona State with 23 points.

Arizona State coach Charli Turner Thorne had nothing but praise for the Bobcats, calling them “a really good basketball team.”

“The way they execute offensively, shoot the three, get to the rim — you know, it really clogged up the paint,” she said.

The ending of Ohio’s greatest season was difficult to witness.

The Bobcats’ roster, however, will be almost fully intact for next year.

Except for Byard.

“I think it was a great season, especially from where we started last year. I don't think we had a great end to it, like Mariah said,” Lampkins said. “The rest of us will be here next year.”

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu