via Morristowne Photography

OU sophomore stars in The ABC Players’ production of ‘Shrek the Musical’

Local community theater group The ABC Players is producing Shrek the Musical Friday through Sunday at Stuart’s Opera House.

Everyone’s favorite ogre is at Stuart’s Opera House.

Local community theater group The ABC Players is producing Shrek The Musical Friday through Sunday at Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square, Nelsonville.

The musical is based on the popular 2001 animated film Shrek starring Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy. The original Broadway production starred Brian d’Arcy James and Sutton Foster as Shrek and Fiona and was nominated for eight Tony Awards in 2009.

The film and musical focus on the story of Shrek, a reclusive ogre who wants to be left alone in his swamp. However, things change once dozens of notable fairytale creatures — and one donkey — show up at his doorstep, due to being banished from the Kingdom of Duloc, and Shrek is then tasked with finding and returning Princess Fiona.

“The musical, even more so than the movie, celebrates the differences of everybody,” said Joe Asente, a sophomore studying integrated language arts education who plays the title role in the musical. “ ‘Beautiful isn’t always pretty’ is one of the lines … The message is that it’s OK to be different.”

With lyrics like “It’s time to stop the hiding / It’s time to stand up tall / Say hey world, I’m different,” the song “Freak Flag” directly delivers that inclusive and accepting message.

Asente said Shrek had always been a “dream role” of his due to its strong message and “great music.” This isn’t Asente’s first production — he said this musical is his 56th show — but he said he’s never done a role like Shrek.

“The music is very intense for Shrek,” he said. “The musical is a little different than the movie. … There are a lot more emotional moments. (Shrek) has some great ballads in there.”

The musical expands on the familiar story of the animated film. Much more backstory for the characters of Shrek and Fiona are shown.

“There’s a lot more heart to it than the movie shows,” Asente said. “There’s a song where Shrek pours out his whole heart. It’s a different side of him. In the movie, we don’t see that change. You just see it in a second at the end … A lot of people come in expecting the movie but they walk away getting so much more than the movie.”

On top of the positive message, Sylvia Abbott, the director of the musical, said she appreciated how the musical made references to other shows. For example, the song “I Think I Got You Beat” is reminiscent of “Anything You Can Do” from Annie Get Your Gun.

Shrek the Musical was one of the most difficult shows Abbott said she has had to put together due to its large song list and extensive choreography, coupled with the fact that their rehearsal time was sometimes curbed due to inclement weather.

“This is definitely one of the most elaborate productions I’ve ever been a part of,” Asente said.

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu