Pride Week set to take place April 19 through 25

Ryant Taylor, Student Senate LGBTQA Affairs commissioner and a previous columnist for The Post, confirmed Tuesday that there will be a Pride Week. 

Ryant Taylor, Student Senate LGBTQA Affairs commissioner and a previous columnist for The Post, confirmed Tuesday that there will be a Pride Week, despite a lack of advertisement thus far.

Pride Week, a week of events put on by Student Senate to educate and celebrate the spectrum identities on the LGBTQA scale, is set to occur on April 19 to 25, Taylor said.

Last year, Pride Week at Ohio University was planned by Taylor Hufford, former commissioner of LGBTQA Affairs and Paige Klatt, former vice commissioner of LGBTQA Affairs. The week occurred from March 17 to 21. It featured events such as a speech by Kye Allums, the first openly-transgender Division I basketball player, a social, and a vigil.

In 2013, according to a previous Post article, the week was celebrated from March 18-22. In 2012, Pride Week was held on April 9 to 13.

As of Tuesday morning, LGBT Center Director Delfin Bautista had not heard from Taylor, or had knowledge of any concrete details surrounding the planning or events occurring for the week, nor the date. The LGBT Center in the past has provided help promoting and sponsoring events during the week.

Taylor is running for Student Senate president on the BARE ticket.

"(I'm planning it) with basically two friends that have volunteered to help me with this and make it happen," Taylor said.

Stay tuned with The Post for more details on Pride Week.