(from left to right) Glen McDaniel, Nicholas Villalobos, and Zack Clark, who together are called Simply Three perform a concert in Baker Theater on March 16, 2015. The trio strives to play a variety of genres including classical twists on popular songs as well as original songs they have created. 

Simply Three breaks boundaries of string music with crossover classical pieces

Simply Three, a string trio that performs contemporary tunes with a classic twist, performed in Baker Center Theatre Tuesday.

With heartfelt dedications and an abundance of audience participation, the Simply Three trio provided a new approach to string music.

Simply Three brought high energy and elegance to Baker Center Theatre with modern tunes on Monday night at 7:30 p.m. as a part of the Performing Arts and Concert Series. About 200 people were in the audience, said Andrew Holzaepfel, senior associate director of student activities for the Campus Involvement Center.

The trio, consisting of violinist Glen McDaniel, cellist player Zack Clark and bassist Nicholas Villalobos, took the stage for the first performance on their tour and said the great crowd contributed to the show’s success.  

“(This show) set the bar really high,” McDaniel said.

The night kicked off with a rendition of “Animal” by Neon Trees and followed with Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep.”

Simply Three created an atmosphere different from a regular classical recital. Villalobos turned his bass into a drum with pounding, slapping and tapping to create a distinctive beat.

The group soon asked for some audience help with the game “Name that Tune.” Three participants joined the stage to identify pieces from TV, movies and pop culture.

“I was kind of nervous,” said Taylor Crooks, a freshman studying international business and a participant in the game. “I didn’t want to get it wrong because they said it was really easy.”

Simply Three also plays original pieces, Villalobos said to the crowd. The trio took the audience to Paris with “French Bistro,” also dubbed “Chocolate Croissant” by McDaniel, due to his love of chocolate.

The trio later played “Summertime,” which gave each member an opportunity to show off his improv skills. The group encouraged the audience to break away from the tame, quiet show.

The audience immediately let out whoops, hollers and whistles as the group began. As the music progressed the crowd fell quiet until Clark shouted out, “Who is all about that bass?”

The audience answered with laughter and cheers broke that broke the silence, and the song continued with a more engaged crowd.

The show took a change of pace and left the audience to its thoughts when Villalobos dedicated the pieces “Somewhere Only We Know” by Keane and “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol to a deceased friend, who was once full of adventure and strived to live life to the max.

“While we play these pieces, I would just like for all of you to think about those you love and hold dear to you heart because you never know when those people will be gone from your life,” Villalobos said during the show.

Before the night concluded, the trio asked if someone knew how to play the “Cup Song.”

DeAnna Cruz, a resident in red high heels, made her way to stage to pick up the single red solo cup sitting on a music stand. She sat on the floor and maintained the beat to the “Cup Song.” Villalobos mimicked the sound by using his bass as a percussion instrument.

The trio received a standing ovation upon the end of the piece, left the stage and soon returned with the encore “Wake Me Up” by Avicii.

“They’re all really talented musicians,” Cruz said at the conclusion of the show. “You could tell by their improv, and it was just really cool to be a part of it too.”

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu