Junior Lucas Hackenburg narrates a scene, acted out by junior Maddie Corbin, left, and freshman Daniel Kington, right, act it out in the background during a rehearsal of "All I Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" on March 24, 2015, in Bentley Hall. 

Student theater group’s latest show takes it back to kindergarten

The Lost Flaming Company is putting on its second production of the semester with All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten that discusses the importance of the lessons learned in the early stages of life.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="86346d00-c90a-11e4-865f-cfde0b523faf"}}

The Lost Flamingo Company will prompt its audience to remember what they learned in kindergarten.

LFC, a student theater group, will present All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Saturday and Sunday in Walter Hall Rotunda. Tickets are $3 per person.

“It’s a humble show to experience because it takes you back to everything you learned growing up and applies it to everyday life and circumstances that you don’t really imagine happening,” said Alexandrea Hegarty, the director of the show and a sophomore studying integrated media.

In the show, five characters tell different stories about the lessons they learned in kindergarten and why they are relevant now. It’s more akin to the storytelling nature of The Vagina Monologues, a series of speeches, than a traditional linear narrative of a play.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten replaces LFC’s tradition of doing the Short Stack, a production of student work, and is one of the three shows the group is doing this semester.

Lucas Hackenburg, a junior studying communication studies, said he enjoys being a part of the play because of its stress on the importance of that open kindergarten mindset.

“As a kid, nothing holds you back and then we really just kind of set ourselves up because we believe in limitations that aren’t actually there,” Hackenburg, who plays Ed, said. “We’re stifled by these standards and norms.”

Hackenburg said this phenomenon could start as early as elementary school.

“Kids start getting teased,” he said. “Once those ideas are put in kids’ minds, they start limiting themselves.”

Anna Cmolik, who plays Kathleen in the show, described one of the stories told in the play about how adults still play hide and seek, though it’s different now than how people played it as children.

“We have a horrible day, but we put on a face like everything is fine,” Cmolik, a senior studying integrated social studies education, said. “We do it all the time because we don’t want people knowing every little aspect of our lives. … I had never thought about that as hide and seek. … I never really pictured something like hide and seek being something adults did.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="cd882af8-a677-11e4-8f19-7f97b98aa336"}}

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu