via Matt Box

The Summoners, Supernobody, Wolfmen to play Saturday at Jackie O's

Three local rock 'n' roll bands are set to perform and bring original songs to Jackie O’s. 

While students on spring break enjoy their last few moments in the sun, Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery is hitting the high note with three bands, singer-songwriters and a female lead singer.

Local Athens bands, The Summoners, Supernobody and Wolfmen, will bring rock ’n’ roll to Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery Saturday at 10 p.m.

A five-man band, Supernobody, played at the Nelsonville Music Festival the past couple of years and is hoping for night of dancing and good music at Jackie O’s, said Matt Box, bass player in Supernobody and The Summoners.

“(Supernobody is) sort of like the Avengers or the X-Men,” Box said. “A lot of us have played in several other local bands for many years. A lot of people call us a super group because we’ve all made names for ourselves, as much as one can, in the local music scene.”

The band plans on bringing out original songs from its upcoming third record for Saturday’s set list, Box said. Front man Mike Elliott, a singer-songwriter who's been in Athens for a long time, writes a majority of the songs.

The Summoners adds a different spin on the rock ’n’ roll dynamic with lead singer and singer-songwriter Liz Pahl. The group finds its roots in all ages of rock, Pahl said.

Although she writes a good amount of the band’s original content, Pahl said developing the songs uses input from everyone in the group.

“Even if the songs are, maybe, slower or different, when I bring them to the band, we all kind of add our styles and our influences to the song,” Pahl said. 

Playing live allows Supernobody to expand its experience while facing uncertainties. The conditions are always there for mistakes or accident, Box said, but the chemistry between the musicians allows them to face the challenge.

The Summoners face live shows with a similar attitude.

“What I love about playing live is that not only the energy but when you’re playing live, its sort of its own animal,” Pahl said. “You can rehearse as much as you want and you can try to go as close to your records as you can, but playing live, anything can change and that keeps you on your toes”

Supernobody is set to perform first followed by The Summoners. Then Wolfmen will close the show.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu