Top OU decision makers converge on Walter Hall; you should too

The agendas of Ohio University’s top decision makers look the same several times each year —when they all come together for the university’s Board of Trustees meetings.

OU employees spend weeks preparing for the meetings, in which the trustees approve the university budget, allocate money for projects, review the year’s enrollment data, etc.

Although we don’t expect students to anticipate the meetings with such fervor, we still feel it’s important for them to recognize who the trustees are and what they’re doing here on campus.

The board’s spring meeting will take place in Walter Hall, beginning today at 8 a.m. There’s plenty of public seating, and students are welcome to attend.

The meeting, which spans the next two days, will cover the proposed renovation of Jefferson Hall (a $44 million project) and McCracken Hall (a $32.8 million project), replacing seats in The Convo (a $2.85 million project) and the idea of constructing a new building to house OU’s auxiliary services (a $16.7 million project).

Students are quick to make suggestions about how the university should be spending its money and allocating its resources, and this is an opportunity for them to get a glimpse into how the university’s decision-making process actually works.

If you’re stuck in class or think your Thursday and Friday will be better spent hanging out on College Green, you can follow our coverage on Twitter (@ThePostCampus) and thepostathens.com. We will publish a report about Thursday’s proceedings in Friday’s newspaper, as well.

And if you’re looking for some more lengthy reading material — almost 500 pages worth — the Board of Trustees publishes its entire agenda online at ohio.edu/trustees/agendas.

We all have a stake in how this university is governed, and these two days offer a chance for every student to get a first-hand look and perhaps a say in that process. We urge you to stop by Walter Hall to check it out.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: editor-in-chief Jim Ryan, managing editor Sara Jerde, opinion editor Xander Zellner and projects editor Allan Smith. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.