Ohio University guard senior Mariah Byard drives to the basket while guarded by Detroit University guard freshman Nicole Urbanick. The Bobcats defeated the Titans 60-57 on Thursday, November 20, 2014, at the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio. 

Women's Basketball: Ohio becomes second winningest team in program history with season sweep over Kent State

Mariah Byard’s 17-point performance pushed Ohio past Kent State, as the Bobcat’s become the second-winningest team in program history.

Traveling to Kent Wednesday morning, the Bobcats had some trouble finding the Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center.

But even when they found the court later in the day, it took some time for Ohio to find momentum against a lowly Kent State.

Starting the game on a sluggish first half, the Bobcats eventually pulled away from the Flashes, winning 69-56 and becoming the second-winningest team in program history.

The guards got it done for Ohio. Senior Mariah Byard led Ohio with 17 points, junior Kiyanna Black added 11 and sophomore Quiera Lampkins had 10. Six different Bobcat players had more than five points.

Similar to its previous meeting on Feb. 7, Wednesday’s matchup was slow and monotonous.

The Bobcats (24-4, 15-2 MAC) and Flashes traded baskets for the first 13 minutes until Byard hit a 3-pointer at the 6:33 mark to give Ohio a 23-20 lead.

After that, Ohio gained some traction and never trailed again.

Mariah (Byard) is a very special player. She was our leading scorer tonight,” coach Bob Boldon said. “I think her effect on the team goes well beyond scoring the basketball. She's a great team defender. She's a team offensive player.

A barrage of 3-pointers from Byard, Black and redshirt junior Mariah Harris gave Ohio a necessary cushion and with the win, the Bobcats swept the Flashes for the first time since 1986. Ohio shot 36 percent from the field and only surrendered two 3-pointers to the Golden Flashes (5-23, 3-14 MAC).

In typical fashion, the Bobcats’ defense was what kept them intact. Byard took two early charges and Black dove for multiple loose balls to keep possessions alive.

Sophomore forward Jasmine Weatherspoon scraped for 12 rebounds and tallied three blocks — both team highs.

After the game, Boldon praised Byard’s unselfishness and dedication to a program that has struggled in recent years.

(Mariah) cares a lot about her teammates. She has a tremendous way about doing her business and she's tremendous academically,” Boldon said. “She's going to graduate with a nursing degree, which isn't easy under any circumstance, and especially playing four years of college basketball.

The Bobcats have just one game left on its schedule and it only seems appropriate for Boldon to start game planning for Cleveland.

In a span of just 24 months, Ohio has transgressed from the MAC East cellar to NCAA Tournament-hopeful.

“Being number one going into it doesn't automatically guarantee a ring,” junior forward Lexie Baldwin said last Saturday. “So, we have to work towards that and not slip up at all."

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu