Timmie Rappe, a senior outfielder, mostly acts as a pinch runner for the Bobcats. 

‘210 For The Slappers:’ Senior Timmie Rappe’s rise to the starting lineup

After spending last season primarily as a pinch runner, senior Timmie Rappe has become a more versatile threat for Ohio.

During last year’s run for the Mid-American Conference Championship and an NCAA Tournament berth, the Bobcats used strong pitching and a surge on offense to help garner their first national postseason appearance in 19 years. While smiles appeared from coach Jodi Hermanek’s bullpen, one member still strived for something more — a shot in the starting lineup. That member was senior Timmie Rappe.

She has been one of the Bobcats’ most effective base runners during her career. Last season, Rappe was primarily used as a pinch runner — playing in just 12 games for the Bobcats and earning one start in the outfield. In softball terminology, pinch runners are used as a substitution for an on-base player in hopes to generate more speed.

Heading into the offseason, however, Rappe began working on making improvements to her game, fueled by the previous season and the desire to get back on the field.

“I think about how I felt last year, watching everybody else on the field,” Rappe said. “Yes, I loved my role as a pinch runner, but everybody likes to be out there.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4fe058c6-e30f-11e4-99a3-9372b30fd0e1"}}

Determined, Rappe amped up her training, and alongside assistant coach Alyssa Wolfe, she created a training method called “210 for the slappers.”

On the softball field there are two 210 markers, and as Rappe described, the signs were used as markers for the Bobcats’ batting. Inspired by the number, Rappe began doing 210 of something every day — such as 210 lunges.

“Over the summer there was this click to where I need to do what I need to do to get on the field,” Rappe said. “My mindset was that if I’m doing 210 more of something that somebody else isn’t doing, then I am that much better.”

After battling a broken wrist in the beginning of the Bobcats’ current season, Rappe’s role has expanded past just a pinch runner. She has appeared in 23 games this season, starting in 17 of them. Rappe said her work ethic has continued to push her and her teammates.

“Almost every day she goes out extra and makes sure she works on her throws, her first steps and diving,” said redshirt senior Raven King. “She has been a huge part of the outfield; she is covering a lot of ground out there, and it makes a huge difference to know she’s out there.”

Rappe’s speed has been one of the most important characteristics during her career, as her agility and quickness is one of the things Hermanek likes about Rappe, a Wheaton, Illinois native.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8e7915b6-e150-11e4-98b1-2b6163e509ca"}}

“Timmie has been a runner for us historically, but now she’s in the lineup,” Hermanek said. “When she gets on base, she’s already been there; she has the experience of the last couple years.”

Due to injuries, there hasn’t been enough depth with the Bobcats to use pinch runners, so in turn, Hermanek expects her team to be aggressive and pick up hard fought bases.

“We have been training the whole entire year in the mindset that we are all fast,” Hermanek said. “We all need to be reactive, and we all need to think instinctively about stealing bases.”

After three seasons with the team and a revamped offseason workout — which elevated her game — Rappe’s commitment to the Bobcats, and the chase for another MAC title is more important than any position.

“To go from not playing at all to playing almost every game now is amazing,” Rappe said. “Whenever I get on base, I just put my hands on my hips, and I just look up, and I am so thankful to be where I am because I don’t think I ever really valued how hard I had to work to get where I am until now.”

@PaulHolden33

ph553412@ohio.edu