Baseball: Ohio defeats Akron to clinch crucial conference series

Ohio picks up a huge win over a conference opponent courtesy of clutch hitting and solid pitching 

Ohio took advantage of every opportunity that was given to them in Saturday morning’s 6-1 win over Akron.

Clutch hitting and huge defensive plays were the keys to the Bobcats clinching the series over the Zips, who were the second best team in the Mid-American Conference coming into this weekend’s series.

“We were able to put together in all three phases today,” head coach Rob Smith said. “It was a well-played game. We got some things going offensively against a quality pitcher. We got some timely hits and took advantage of some mistakes they made as well”

The pitching, which has been an Achilles heel of sorts for Ohio early in the season, continued on its recent hot streak. After pitching two-straight shutouts, the Bobcats only allowed one run, an RBI fielder’s choice in the first inning.

Starter Connor Sitz pitched five innings, allowing three hits, one earned run, and a walk while earning the win, his first conference win of the year.

Spencer Sapp was brought in during the fifth to retire Akron’s Joey Havrilak, and then Tom Colletti was brought in. Colletti finished the game, pitched 3 2/3 innings, allowing one hit, two walks, no runs, and striking out two while earning the save.

Ohio denied Akron a huge scoring opportunity in the fifth inning as Akron had a chance to possibly tie the game as they had the tying run at the plate with runners on the corners and no outs. Mason Mamarella lined out to the shortstop Garrett Black, who then turned the double play by throwing out the runner at first. Daulton Mosbarger grounded out to first base to end the inning.

As they have done all season, Ohio’s offense was incredibly productive at the plate. The first four batters in the lineup—Manny Dejesus, Garrett Black, Mitch Longo, and Jake Madsen—all had multi-hit games and eight of the nine batters in the lineup reached base.

Madsen’s two hits in the ballgame ties him with Ohio’s all-time record of 269, set by Ben Crabtree in 2005.

Another record, maybe of even more importance, was clinched this morning.

The victory, the team’s 25th, equals the combined total from Smith’s first two seasons in Athens. Though Smith isn’t thinking ahead of himself, he still sees it as an important benchmark.

“It’s exciting,” Smith said. “It’s nice to see us head in the right direction. I feel great for our kids. They went through the struggles the last two years. They worked really hard and they deserve each of the 25 wins they got.”