Bathroom comments disrespectful

Facebook comments related to gender-inclusive bathrooms show how some around Athens and OU lack respect, compassion

Last Thursday, we posted Asst. Culture Editor Rebekah Barnes’ Post Modern on accessible and inclusive bathrooms to social media.

A major portion of the story discussed how students who don’t identify with a specific gender have very limited options for which bathrooms they can use comfortably within Ohio University buildings. Some quoted within the article discussed how more single-user and gender-neutral bathrooms would help to alleviate that problem.

When we posted the article to Facebook, subscribers posted some highly insensitive remarks regarding that idea within the comments.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="70d6c65a-e3a5-11e4-917a-cf583c5d4a16"}}

“These should only be in the Psychiatry building …” one Facebook user wrote.

Another said, “Good news for the sex offenders who like to listen and watch.”

More wrote about how the idea was “ridiculous,” another insisted it was a waste of tax dollars and yet another had said they agreed with their teenage daughter that money would be better spent on a fire truck.

Seriously. You can read the comments in this search, and those weren’t even half the hateful remarks the story received.

The increasingly prevalent discussion surrounding gender-inclusive bathrooms is taking place far beyond Athens, so it’s discouraging to see a total lack of understanding from some around OU.

Basically, making more bathrooms gender-inclusive will improve the lives of some while having literally no impact on the lives of those who aren’t involved in the discussion. There is no reason to actively impede progress in this instance, as the end result will have no effect on the day-to-day lives of those who aren’t in need of gender-inclusivity. On the flip side, those who are unable to comfortably use a bathroom on campus have to go to great lengths to avoid embarrassment and harassment.

The exact kind of harassment those commenters are perpetuating. Have some respect.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: editor-in-chief Jim Ryan, managing editor Sara Jerde, Opinion Editor Xander Zellner and projects editor Allan Smith. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.