Women's golfer, Hailey Hrynewich, of Muskegon, MI, poses for a portrait. (FILE)

Bobcats focus on improvements for Falcon Invitational

Ohio is using this weekend's Falcon Invitational as a tune up before the MAC Championships.

The Bobcats hope to continue posting low numbers this weekend for the Falcon Invitational at Bowling Green. 

With the Mid-American Conference Championships two weekends away, it could become easy for Ohio to start looking ahead, but coach Kelly Ovington has made it clear the Bobcats are focused on the task at hand this weekend.

“I would like to focus on this tournament, because I think we’re gonna be competitive in it,” Ovington said. “If we can go into the MAC Championships with a strong level of confidence and fearlessness, we should be able to play well.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="20f8676c-dbe7-11e4-aedf-3befd0951f35"}}

Coming off of her first individual collegiate win last week, sophomore Hailey Hrynewich is trying to refocus herself for this weekend. 

“I think I’m just gonna have to really forget about (the win) and just move on to the next tournament and pretend that it’s a new day and go out there and focus on every shot,” Hrynewich said. 

Senior Julie Lechner and freshman Lily Pendy are also coming off of strong finishes, since they tied for 13th last weekend in the Eastern Kentucky Invitational. 

Ovington and Hryrnewch cited wind to be one of the toughest parts of playing at Stone Ridge Golf Club this weekend.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f67c440e-cb79-11e4-b0e0-77c1c1f437d0"}}

“All my teammates were telling me about (wind), and I thought that they were over exaggerating, but I got there last year and it was something completely different,” Hrynewich said. 

Ovington said she is hopeful the weather is nice, but continued to say wind is a factor and is “a little more than you think it is” at Bowling Green.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d41aed7e-c904-11e4-bde2-3b880366548c"}}

Ohio finished seventh two out of the past three years during the invitational and ninth the other year, but Ovington seemed confident about being able to improve on those numbers. 

The Bobcats will play 54 holes over the course of Saturday and Sunday to build momentum for the MAC Championships.

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu