Luke Furman is a freshman studying journalism. Do you like saxophone riffs in pop tunes? Email him at lf491413@ohio.edu or find him on Twitter at @LukeFurmanOU.

Columnist reflects on year and purpose of music focused column

Amplified Observations wraps up the year with its final column of the semester about its purpose and future goals.

It’s nearly closing time for spring semester, which means another academic year filled with rallies and street fests has drawn to a warm-weathered end. 

And, although I’ve only been writing this column since October — when I claimed Joe Walsh was the first gangsta rapper — I feel like it’s been much longer considering all the humorous and sometimes less-humorous topics that I’ve opined about and to which Post readers have responded.

Receiving emails, retweets and a critical letter to the editor have provided me with the feedback-driven fuel necessary to cook up some cool ideas the night before deadline (along with a few quesadillas).

I’ve written about everyone from Wiz Khalifa to Led Zeppelin to OutKast, among others, cherry-picking less-than-obvious observations I found notable, funny or, in the best-case scenario, both. I suppose my goal of writing this weekly disaster is to try and start a discussion while sharing all the odd thoughts that stick in my head.

I think of weird s--t four to five times a day and, since I like music, most of those thoughts are related to it. Hopefully offering my perspective helps create a few laughs (or at least mild smirks) and maybe a little food for thought (possibly quesadillas). The last thing I want Amplified Observation to be is boring. I’d rather sell out.

Next semester, I look forward to keeping this column going for as long as I’m allowed to. All I do is write about music and make a few blue-humored jokes, and they put it in the paper, so I’m not going to complain.

And while I’m back in Pennsylvania making quesadillas, I’ll be sure to come up with a few good ideas for the fall so I don’t have to cop out with another year-end wrap-up like this.

Luke Furman is a freshman studying journalism and a stringer for The Post’s local staff. Email him at lf491413@ohio.edu or find him on Twitter at @LukeFurmanO