Cymbals Eat Guitars makes its way to Athens

Cymbals Eat Guitars to play The Skull for ACRN’s 44th birthday

Elizabeth Backo | Staff Writer

Cymbals Eat Guitars, an indie rock band out of New York, is stopping in Athens on tour. The group will rock the stage at The Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St., Thursday at 8 p.m.

The show has a limited pre-sale through Haffa’s Records, which will be the same as door price. But due to limited capacity, tickets may not be available at the door. The show is a celebration of the 44th anniversary of ACRN, OU’s all campus radio network.

The four-man band began to gain recognition following its 2009 debut album Why There Are Mountains, which was a Pitchfork selection for Best New Music.

Following the album, the group toured with The Pains of Being a Pure Heart and later opened a few shows for The Flaming Lips, a group who will perform at the 2015 Nelsonville Music Festival.

The roots of the band formed in high school when Joseph D’Agostino, vocalist and guitarist, and Matthew Miller, the drummer, performed cover songs together.  The duo eventually transitioned to original music and searched for a full band when reaching college.

Cymbals Eat Guitars has since released two albums following its debut along with three singles.

The show also includes Split Single, an indie-rock band out of Evanston, Illinois that has been on tour with Cymbals Eat Guitar for the past four shows.

The group plans on playing all original music along with a few new songs, said Split Single’s front-guitarist Jason Narducy in an email.

It’s the group’s first time playing in Athens and its final night playing the same stage as Cymbals Eat Guitars.

“They are great. I love their music and they are really good people,” Narducy said. “Brian, the keyboardist, repaired my broken amp in Madison. How cool is that? We are having a great time with them.”

Athens bands Sweet Lil’ and Nightstalker will also be incorporated into the night. Sweet Lil’ recently performed at IndependentFest.

Cymbals Eat Guitars will also perform at Newport Music Hall in Columbus on July 7.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu