Siblings John Mlynarski, right, and Andrew Mlynarski, left, both came to Ohio to hone their shared craft of golf.

Day one recap: Bobcats hunt for first win of year at Cincinnati tournament

The Bobcats teed off at the Cobra Puma Invitational held in Cincinnati, Ohio. 

The Bobcats teed off Monday morning in only their second tournament in the state of Ohio so far this year, as Xavier University hosted the Cobra Puma Invitational in Cincinnati. The two-day tournament saw two rounds of play on Monday and a third and final round to take place Tuesday.

Eleven teams in total competed in this event, however, only eight placed on the leaderboard because Akron, Miami (Ohio) and St. John’s University’s golfers all competed as individuals. Butler, Eastern Illinois, Eastern Kentucky, Morehead State, Western Kentucky, Wright State, Xavier and Ohio round out the field.

After the first round, the Bobcats tied for fourth place having shot a 587 in 36 total holes. Ohio remained in fourth place after shooting a 289 in round two, as the Bobcats is one shot behind third place and two shots behind second place.

Sophomore Ty Herriott led the way for the Bobcats in the first two rounds as he is tied for seventh place and only four shots behind the medalist. Sophomore Peyton White also had a strong performance on day one as he is tied for 13th place and finishing with a two-round score of 143 and one over par.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8ad559f8-e22f-11e4-b1f3-a73d5b582f31"}}

“We’re pretty excited, we’re playing really good golf right now. It’s nice to see our team looking for a win in the tournament or a top three or four finish instead of how we kind of struggled in the fall and early spring,” White said. “It rained for the whole second round and half of the first round. It was just really windy, so I think the second round we played a bit better because it’s easier to play in the wind when you’ve played in it for 18 holes.”

Ohio has enjoyed the shorter travel of its past two tournaments and looks to build on its best finish of the year so far in the previous event, the Greenbriar Invitational. At the Greenbriar Invite, the Bobcats finished tied for fifth overall.

“Last week we were only two and a half hours away, this week we’re only three,” White said. “It’s huge because we normally travel on either Friday or Saturday when the practice round is Sunday so its nice to be able to sleep in our own beds Saturday night and just leave at 9 a.m. Sunday morning to get there for our practice round tee times.”

@Matt_Fout

mf056713@ohio.edu