Google Consumer Surveys asks users simple questions such as the one above.

Editorial: New survey feature debuts on ‘Post’ website Thursday

The Post will debut a feature called Google Consumer Surveys on thepostathens.com Thursday. The feature will allow The Post to better monetize its digital journalism efforts.

As we have written to you several times in the recent past, The Post has been planning to debut a new feature on its website.

A feature called Google Consumer Surveys began appearing on thepostathens.com Thursday.

The feature, which poses a question or series of questions to readers before they can access The Post’s online content, is our most recent attempt to monetize The Post’s digital journalism efforts.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f5ed9dbe-d982-11e4-ba2c-9320d8f758d9"}}

The feature functions effectively as a paywall, but without the pay. That being said, The Post makes five cents every time a reader answers a question, so we appreciate every click. (Readers can also skip the questions.)

Each question answered by a reader grants him or her 24 hours of “questionless” access to thepostathens.com.

Questions are quirky (Which quality do you look for most when purchasing a dog toy?) and practical (Do you feel confident about how much to tip for services like a haircut, taxi ride or valet?).

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="604ca636-d411-11e4-94bd-d30c7cbf0a2d"}}

This development is an exciting one for us, and it will hopefully lead to future development of thepostathens.com. We hope the surveys aren’t too cumbersome — we don’t think they’re bad at all — and that you can, at times, enjoy answer the seemingly random questions that the feature tosses your way.

To recap: Google Consumer Surveys benefits readers and The Post. Readers get full access to The Post’s award-winning journalism at no cost. The Post brings in money every time a reader clicks through a simple survey, allowing it to continue to finance ambitious digital journalism.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e043391e-ce75-11e4-b87a-9b227e8abe74"}}

To us, Google Consumers are a win-win-win (Google makes money off the service, too.) But we want to hear from you if you have any questions about the new service.

Please don’t hesitate to email us at editor@thepostathens.com if you have any questions, comments or concerns about the new survey feature or any Post content.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: editor-in-chief Jim Ryan, managing editor Sara Jerde, opinion editor Xander Zellner and projects editor Allan Smith. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.