GWR

Green & White Review: Saul Phillips discusses NCAA Tournament, future of the Bobcats and Number Fest

The Post editors sat down with mens basketball coach Saul Phillips in this year's final edition of the Green and White Review. 

Green & White Review hosts Allan Smith, Alex Busch and Post staff writer Luke O'Roark were accompanied by men's basketball coach Saul Phillips for this week's show. 

Here's a brief rundown of some of the questions Phillips answered on-air: 

Busch: So, you've had two months, a month and a half, since the end of the season, where are you guys now? 

Phillips: "I've been cherishing each of our 10 wins—"

Busch: One by one.

Phillips: "—Yeah, one by one." (Laughs) 

"It didn't taken long, I've had three weeks after that — no, obviously you're finishing up your recruiting class, we signed a kid yesterday, made it down to the final four.  We have our coaches meetings down there — it's just a lot of meetings, and a lot of work and no fun whatsoever." 

O'Roark: Coach, looking forward, who are you expecting to make that jump next year and be 'the guy'? 

Phillips: "First of all, the guys sitting out are pretty good ... I look at Ryan Taylor, who played a bulk of the season with a touch (of) mononucleosis, he was really good early on then he kinda steadied out, and we kept looking for answers why and then finally they said, 'His spline isn't swollen enough to not play, but he's got mono.' He played pretty valiantly given the fact that he would go home and sleep for 12 hours come back to practice and try to do school work in between. So, he's going to take a step forward — he's looked really good in workouts so far..." 

Smith: So coach, you were at the Final Four. Obviously you have worked alongside Bo Ryan in the past, Wisconsin's head coach. What were your thoughts on Wisconsin's win over Kentucky and your thoughts on the National Title game? 

Phillips: "Well how about this, I had my nine-year old son sitting next to me, we were sitting in the middle of the Big Blue Nation, and my son learned some words. (Laughs) Let's just say that..."  

Listen to the full interview here: