Evan Giest, a redshirt senior left handed pitcher, pitches against Western Michigan Sunday. Ohio lost to WMU, 7-4. 

Jake Madsen’s game-winning double propels Ohio to victory over Marshall

An RBI-double in the 9th inning gave Ohio a 4-2 victory, season sweep over Marshall 

The last time Ohio and Marshall faced off, it was a much different result than Wednesday’s 4-2 victory over the Thundering Herd.

March 25, poor performances by starting pitcher Evan Geist and relief pitcher Mason McWilliams put the Bobcats down 8-6 in the 4th inning, but a run in the 5th inning and a four-run 8th inning gave Ohio the victory over Marshall.

Wednesday, Ohio coach Rob Smith went back to the drawing board.

Nine pitchers appeared in the game, all pitching exactly one inning. They allowed seven hits, two runs and struck out four.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8cfce856-d97c-11e4-af8c-67b763165c3f"}}

This strategy of pitching by committee allows the pitchers to focus on just one inning, Smith said.

It corrected their flaws from earlier in the season where the Bobcats were doomed by an early deficit from a starting pitcher who allowed multiple runs in multiple innings.

“On a day like today,” Smith said, “Everybody had a job to do. They have three outs to get. I think everybody went out there and competed well and did their jobs. It was a good win for us today and it worked out well.

Logan Cozart pitched the last inning, sealed the victory and earned his sixth save of the season.

Ohio (18-12) and Marshall (9-22) were knotted at one before Ohio’s three-run outburst in the 9th inning.

The Bobcats “caught a break” in the ninth according to Smith.

Leading off the inning, Taylor Emody reached on a dropped third strike. Manny DeJesus then executed a “perfect” hit-and-run to put runners on first and second. After a sacrifice bunt from Garrett Black, Mitch Longo was then intentionally walked to load the bases.

Then Jake Madsen — one of Ohio’s hottest hitters — stepped into the box.

Madsen drove the ball deep over the center fielder’s head, emptying the bases — except Madsen, who reached second — giving Ohio a 4-1 lead.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="9a9f7142-dbd7-11e4-815c-e7ded47455f5"}}

Marshall scored one run in the bottom of the inning and had the tying run at the plate, but Cozart shut the door, striking out the pinch hitter, Billy Sager, to end the game.

Smith was complimentary of Madsen’s performance after the game, saying that he is displaying leadership qualities on-and-off the field.

“(Madsen) is getting on good pitches,” Smith said. “He did a good job of putting together a quality at-bat in the last inning. He saw the ball well and put a good swing on it.”

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu